Mr. Spock ... RIP

found out something interesting. My Hometown was where the Star Trek USS Enterprise was designed, and built down the street in Troy, Michigan at the AMT model company (my mom worked there for a short time too).

Facebook Search Facebook Search

Dave MonaghanClawson
February 28 at 7:40pm · Edited ·

The Clawson connection to Star Trek.... My post yesterday on my FB timeline about Leonard Nimoy has brought up some interesting memories and stories about the original Star Trek USS Enterprise that you Star Trek fans might like. Did you know that the ship was designed on a napkin at the Pagoda Restaurant on 15 Mile Rd in Clawson?

My father, Ed Monaghan, opened a commercial photo studio in the basement of our house in Clawson. One of the first clients we had was the AMT Model Corp. located on 15 mile rd. just east of Rochester Rd. The creative director, Ken Wiktor, a long time Clawson resident, had a lunch meeting with the creator of Star Trek, Gene Roddenberry and the King of Customs, George Barris. They had lunch and designed the ship on a napkin. Ken then created a hand made model of the ship and delivered it to the toy show in Chicago. That model was used in the opening sequence of the show with the theme song playing and the ship rushing by the camera at warp speed. My father photographed the Enterprise and the Klingon Battle Cruiser in our basement for the packaging. I was a huge Star Trek fan so I thought this was beyond cool. Years later we were fortunate enough to photograph Leonard a few times, signing autographs and a portrait for a product endorsement. Ken tells the story better than I do but he also said they used a salt shaker and a small dish to help design the ship.

Unlike · · 10736

I am the proud owner of one of the undeniably worst music album in history done by William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy.
Spaced+Out++The+Very+Best+of+Le.png

There was definitely some drugs being done with the making of this one.

To top it off I am also the proud owner of Seeking Major Tom by William Shatner.
7021_seeking_major_tomo.jpg

Apparently I didn't learn my lesson with the first albim so I bought the second one. Shatner can't sing for $#!%, but he can talk his way through a song pretty good. :laugh2:

spock-spock-star-trek-smiley-emoticon-000554-medium.gif

Most reactions

New Topics

Back