MRI experience

Xmetal said:
They put Pachabel's Canon in D on and I was right as rain. :)

Now that's a good reason for me to never visit a place like that... :lol: :lol:

Teehee, I thought this would bring out this very reaction in you, Dimitri :biggrin: !

But yes, the "tube" is pretty confining, and 30 minutes become a long time if you must not move. And the noise, so I found, was horrible, despite the fact that I was given headphones and music. Also I closed my eyes as not to see where I was and how close the "ceiling" was to my eyes, and also I started to think quite firmly of other things as to "leave the situation" - like mysteryscribe who built a house from the foundations to the roof :D.

I had a closed MRI for my shoulder a few months back. It was wierd as hell when they first put me in. I fell asleep sleep though... :lol:

It used to be that open MRI machines were not as good as closed because they show less detail as a closed. Maybe that has all changed now. I have been stuck into the tube over a dozen times and like Midget Patrol I just fall asleep.

Now my wife on the other hand freaked out big time. She didn't make it a minute.

When we do confined space drills at work I bet 40-50 percent of the guys can't handle being put into the tiny crawl space. I wouldn't worry about or feel bad it's just one of those things that effect us all a bit different.

Update: I have another appt. tomorrow at an open MRI place. Phew! Thanks for all the support. Will let y'all know how it went, I hope I'm not going to chicken out of this one...:lol:

Have any tattoos?

When I had an mri done I could feel it pulling on the ink in my tattoos. My tribal armband was the worst, it was actually fairly painful--the block black ink has more metal content.

Good luck!

I'd heard that tattoos could cause issues. Even Mythbusters did a segment on it, but they focused on them heating up. I hadn't heard directly from anyone that had experienced it before though.

Oh it happens alright. I know of a lady who answered all of the questions correctly: "Tattoos? Welder?" etc. But once the MRI was started she almost immediately started screaming that her eyes were on fire.

Obviously, they weren't, but she had permenant eyeliner makeup (which I guess could sub as a tattoo) which was composed of a metal substance. The MRI essentially pulls these atoms through the skin layers. Yikes.

It always made sense to me. That magnetic field is something fierce. I love the Mythbusters show, but they are effects guys, not scientists. Some of their testing methods make me cringe, but it's really fun watching things blow up!

Oh my. I just found this page: http://www.simplyphysics.com/flying_objects.html
Check out the movie of them trying to pry the chair away from the magnet!

There was man killed here in the metroplex about 2 years ago in a machine. A maintainance worker unwittingly left a metal fire extinguisher outside the door of the MRI room. When the machine was turned on it went through the wall, through the machine and bludgeoned him to death....

There was man killed here in the metroplex about 2 years ago in a machine. A maintainance worker unwittingly left a metal fire extinguisher outside the door of the MRI room. When the machine was turned on it went through the wall, through the machine and bludgeoned him to death....

OUCH!?! :shock:

That is what these machines can do?
And I -unbeknownst of those facts- let them push myself inside it just like that!?!?? :shock:

And even afterwards thought that the worst was the NOISE!?!? :( :confused: :meh:

OK, all done! This was a much better and positive experience. True, I had to lay down for 45 minutes and I felt like the filling of an Oreo cookie, laying between two huge discs. Noise was actually not bad, they were piping some rock music through and actually time went by rather fast.

Glad is over though...

Results in a few days from my doc.

OK, all done! This was a much better and positive experience. True, I had to lay down for 45 minutes and I felt like the filling of an Oreo cookie, laying between two huge discs. Noise was actually not bad, they were piping some rock music through and actually time went by rather fast.

Glad is over though...

Results in a few days from my doc.

Keep us posted.:D

My last yearly MRI, I accidentally left my wedding ring on. I immediately thought about it and started hitting the buzzer. The guy came over the speaker and asked what was up, I told him, he said to not worry about it, it would be okay. Well.. it was okay but I could feel it pulling at the ring from time to time and vibrating around in circles and every once and a while it would pull my finger up and move it around. Scary as all get out but funny all the same. I'm just happy it didn't pull the ring off and remove my finger in the process... although, I don't know of a better place for it to happen. :lol:

Most reactions

Back