Mt biking with your gears...

molested_cow

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
img24.photobucket.com
Does any of you do it?

I tried, but I almost died... It's just too heavy. If I put them on the rear rack, the vibration will just rumble it off no matter how much i tie it down. If I put it on my back, it strips my energy fast. So is there a good way to do it?

This is where a smaller digital P&S comes in handy. If you're bringing an SLR I'd suggest a Camelbak Hawg or Blowfish.

You have to make up your mind, biking or photographing. If your are biking, leave the heavy gear at home and take a simple p&s camera.

Then I would suggest a full blown photo backpack with a tripod carrier. I just got one about a month ago I'm really liking right now. A Lowepro Rover AW II.

I went out and bought a cheap memorex tripod that's made of aluminum that I carry in my car. It's not too sturdy but works for what I need it and doesn't weigh anything. I also have a backpack that has straps for a sleeping bag. I put all of the stuff in the backpack and hang the tripod from the back. The whole setup only weighs about ten pounds.

I've tried in the past, had a fancy photo backpack and everything. But in the end I decided that you just can't carry much extra and still have fun biking. Carrying my tripod almost killed me, not because of the weight, but because it was swinging around bashing me and the bike. I finally switched to simpler camera systems for carrying with me. I carry my Ansco Titan or Widelux F6 and a lightmeter and a few rolls of film. No more tripod.

When I go out with my daughter I'm using a cart for her, so i can carry more stuff including a tripod. But the catch 22 is that if I'm with her I have to watch her, and can't get too involved in photography anyway.

Ya i do that all the time. I just put my camera case in a back pack and then if I even bring a tripod i just hook it on one of the straps. The only problem is if you hit any drops or jumps all the lenses and stuff rattles around in the case in the back pack. But i dont think there's anyway to prevent that. A photo backpack would be nice tho (my pack was bought at mcdonalds :) ).

Most reactions

Back