Multi-Flash Hummingbirds

The colorful background in photo #2 makes it my favorite of all the shots.

One word - WOW! I can't pick a favorite of the series because they are all just -WOW! ...my jaw is still dragging with astonishment.

hey i think this is awesome buddy you have done a nice job actually i am also interested in photography so will you please tell me which cameras are you using and which one i must buy thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you.....:cheers:
I was using my Canon 5DII camera & 300 IS 2.8 Lens w/ 1.4Extender along with three Canon 580EXII flashes....

Those are awesome. Does the 5DII really support flash synch at 1/8000??
Thanks.....:cheers:...
Yes the 5DII supports hss all the way up to the max 1/8000th it's capable of shooting....
There's really no special setting on the camera for it...I always shoot in manual mode for this set-up to be able to select what shutter, f/stop, and ISO combination I need depending on the ambient light conditions...
All I do is set the 580EXII's in hss mode, choose which +/- flash exposure setting I want to use, and fire away....:D

Wow! Very nice shots! However, I am now forced to hate you, for I have just deleted all of my hummingbird pics that i used to think were good.

Nice work!!!
Nice set up. Cross lit strobist style and a WIMBERLEY mount SWEET.
Thanks...:cheers:....
I purchased the 'Wimberly II' and 'Gitzo GT5541LS' a couple weeks ago and absolutely love the combination....:thumbsup:

Awesome job Jim! The colors look great and you definitely froze the birds. Frame those pictures!

:cheers:
Not exactly beginner stuff.
Anyways, you may be better off shooting at 1/200 and exposing for the background and shooting at the lowest flash power possible. Here's the durations for the 580 at lower powers:
Manual at 1/128 power = 1/35,000 second +/- 25%
Manual at 1/64 power = 1/31,000 second +/- 25%
Manual at 1/32 power = 1/19,000 second +/- 25%
Manual at 1/16 power = 1/15,000 second +/- 25%
Much faster than the 1/8000 of the camera and would stop the motion of the wings, giving a clearer no blurred shot? Some guy did this with humming birds and it was picked up on Strobist.
Strobist: Winter Treat: Frozen Hummingbirds

Thanks for taking the time to explain the flash settings & durations and the link.....:cheers:......I'll defiantly have to give this a try....:thumbsup:
It's all beginner stuff to me .....I got my first SLR this past Christmas, bought my three 580EXII flashes around the first of this month, and just started experimenting with using the multi-flash technique going on 2 weeks now ...:confused:...:D

Last edited:
stunning "love it" Great job... i could go on and on.

As other have said you have produced some great work already!
I'm most certainly looking forward to seeing more of your work :)

Most reactions

Back