multi subjects

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by swmocity, Oct 27, 2008.

1. swmocity

swmocity TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    When im shooting more than one person...how do I keep both subjects face in focus...I use like 4.5..but what focus point would I use....and where do I put the focus point...dead center or what?

2. gabrielh

gabrielh TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If I'm shooting more than one person, I firstly try to put all the persons on one line, if possible, if not, then not too "deep" away (such that they stay in focus with large apertures). Then I press the shutter halfway on the eyes/nose of one person and recompose the shot; then I press the shutter fully down. If the persons are too deep away and they are not in focus anymore, then the aperture has to be some smaller...
    Hope this answers your question, if not, feel free to ask more!
    Gabriel

3. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

I agree. Increase the aperture number (decrease the size of the aperture) will increase the DoF. And that should do it.

4. lockwood81

lockwood81 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Agreed, and focus on the one closest to the camera...you have more DoF going back than coming forward.

5. revilo

revilo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    But surely this results in wasted DOF in front of the closest subject? Therefore shouldn't you place the focus further back, and then stop down just enough for the closest and furthest subjects to be sharp? Sorry if I've got this wrong.

6. tsaraleksi

tsaraleksi TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My experience has been to put it on the person in the middle. However, it really is a matter of finding what way works best for you. I've also seen it suggested that for big groups you should get up on a ladder or something so that you can get everyone within one plane of focus.