Multiple Flash slaves?

Ub3rdoRK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.walesimaging.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I have a sb400 and sb600 and I'm trying to get a decent set of slave flashes for multiple lighting for band promos, and other misc events. I have been hearing about the vivitar series one but they are discontinued. I'm looking to spend less than $80 each flash. I don't feel like dropping tons of cash on a battery operated studio kit. Any ideas?

80 is probably cutting it really close. What kmh suggested is probably the cheapest way to go.

but you could also pick up a used nikon sb 24 or 25 for $80-90 and then get a hot shoe slave.
i just picked up a sb-25 for $90 from KEH and the hot shoe slave for $15
not a bad deal i think. and since you have the flash allready, you could get one of those slaves to use for your sb-600 too and have a nice setup

if you get that vivitar check it out at mpex.com
im pretty sure they have it there and thats where i got the slave so u might save on shipping

hope that helps
-Gian

Can they be mounted on a tripod? Like a gorillapod?
Yes, they come with a foot the speedlight slips onto that has a tripod mount on the bottom of it.

You might want to go to the Vivitar web site for more information.

You can use a hot shoe mount that screws to a tripod, I have a few that have flash contacts and a sync cable, and I have a few that are just a simple piece of aluminum, with no contacts, which are cheaper, then you can use the sync port that's built into the flash. I have a couple Vivitar 285HV's an they are a good bang for your buck flash, They recycle pretty fast at less than full power, have a 3 position manual lens, and are simple and easy use. They are not elegant looking and feel plasticy, but they get the job done well.

Old Nikon strobes use the old metering system, but are built well and can be used in full manual. If you find some for a good price, grab'em and don't look back.

They're crappy flashes, in my opinion. Firing them anywhere near full power you'll be old and dead by the time they recycle. YMMV.

I think I'm going to start buying used flashes here and there to get a bunch in order to illuminate a large area. I personally wish the sb400 could be used as a commander since it's so lightweight and whatnot, but sadly, that is not so.

-Dave

Look for used flashes from Keh, ebay, craigslist. Right now I have over a dozen flashes to light large areas. Instead of going the slave route I have gone the wireless route with cactus V4's. I get consistantly good results at 200' with them. The cactus recievers are about 2x what optical slaves are but longer range.

Right now in my flash bag I have 1-SB-50DX, 2-SB-25's, 2-SB-28's, 3-SB-80DX's, 3-SB-600's, and a SB-900. If I am desperate I can add 2-SBR-200's, and a Sunpak 4000. I have 12 Cactus V4 recievers to work with them. I am always looking for more flashes. :D

Look for used flashes from Keh, ebay, craigslist. Right now I have over a dozen flashes to light large areas. Instead of going the slave route I have gone the wireless route with cactus V4's. I get consistantly good results at 200' with them. The cactus recievers are about 2x what optical slaves are but longer range.

Right now in my flash bag I have 1-SB-50DX, 2-SB-25's, 2-SB-28's, 3-SB-80DX's, 3-SB-600's, and a SB-900. If I am desperate I can add 2-SBR-200's, and a Sunpak 4000. I have 12 Cactus V4 recievers to work with them. I am always looking for more flashes. :D

do you have any shot you can show us where you used all/some of these flashes???..thanks!

do you have any shot you can show us where you used all/some of these flashes???..thanks!

Sorry, dont have any on my work laptop. I am in Tel Aviv for work and will not be home for another month (already been here a month). :(

But, I have not used more than six so far anyway. I just got my 2nd order of six V-4's not too long ago. Normally for large room for interior shots I am only using 3 flashes. When I do exterior photo's to light dark areas or night shots I have used up to 6.

Most reactions

Back