Multiple OCF light source picture thread

Village Idiot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This one's for multiple off camera flash lighting photos. Post setups here as well. Thanks. K. Bye.

Two 430EX II's 45 degrees behind subject on either side and one 580EX II with shoot through camera right.

Oklahoma Hummingbird by Tim Herschbach, on Flickr

16" sb with LP160 at full power, camera right, slightly behind focal plane, about 2 feet from bird.
Lumiquest SB3 with LP160 at full power about 6 feet left and along focal plane, shooting through clear liquid bird feeder.

Come on guys, break out more than one light and get to crackin'.

Flickr lighting description:
two packs, one 1200w/s speedo pack inside and one 400 w/s pack outside. One gridded light on the chair and one reflected away at the back wall to provide a low illumination for the room. One light with wide reflector outside for a backlight.

Shot is a small composite. One photo of the lights and a second of Zombieland on the TV

My feeble attempt at two lights OCF balanced with the background. One light camera right on me and the other laying in the street in front of the bike.

20110928-DSC_7295-1.jpg

Last edited:
OK...I'll play.
LB-Grad%20Dress-03.jpg

Main light is left of the camera, up about 8+ feet. AB 800 with standard reflector, powered by battery pack (ghetto vagabond). 2nd light is a hotshoe type flash unit (probably a 430EX) behind and to the right of the subject.

Reminiscing in the Archives by Tim Herschbach, on Flickr

Lumiquest SB 3 up and right.
Fill (mostly on shelf to the left) is umbrella right behind and above camera.
She has a halo/rim bare flash directly behind her head about 20 feet back pointed right at her.
Back further about 35 feet behind her is a bare flash on the floor pointed up and at the right shelf to give more depth to the scene.

OK...I'll play.
LB-Grad Dress-03.jpg

Main light is left of the camera, up about 8+ feet. AB 800 with standard reflector, powered by battery pack (ghetto vagabond). 2nd light is a hotshoe type flash unit (probably a 430EX) behind and to the right of the subject.

Mike you mind me asking if the pic was taken during darker hours, or if you used a fast shutter to dim down ambient in background?

Mike you mind me asking if the pic was taken during darker hours, or if you used a fast shutter to dim down ambient in background?
That was taken in the late-afternoon, in bright/overcast light. I used a fast shutter speed (1/200 probably) and a low ISO and a small aperture, to dim down the ambient light and get the skies that I wanted.
That meant that I had to have a lot of power from my lights. The little highlight on the back of her shoulder & hair, is from the 430EX, which was probably at full power and zoomed out it give it maximum light for that area.

THIS is more representative of what the ambient light was like.

Last edited:
That was taken in the late-afternoon, in bright/overcast light. I used a fast shutter speed (1/200 probably) and a low ISO and a small aperture, to dim down the ambient light and get the skies that I wanted.
That meant that I had to have a lot of power from my lights. The little highlight on the back of her shoulder & hair, is from the 430EX, which was probably at full power and zoomed out it give it maximum light for that area.

Thank you very much for helping me understand, that shot is awesome.

Just messing around last winter. 1 sb600 camera right around 45 deg fired into 46 inch umbrella(placed too high causing neck shadows) and a second camera left at 45 deg shot through white 46 inch white diffuser.

Shadows above the head are from chandelier. First attempt with multiple OCF and umbrella.

5467407674_8a187f472c_z.jpg

My feeble attempt at two lights OCF balanced with the background. One light camera right on me and the other laying in the street in front of the bike.

20110928-DSC_7295-1.jpg

At least you're trying. Automotive photography can be tough. It's like you're lighting a mirror and the darker the color you're lighting, the less the light shows and the more you're going to be dependent on something to reflect that light off of, so it shows up in yout subject's paint. A lot of auto setups have large white sheets of different material or large shoot through light panels that they light to illuminate the painted surface of the vehicles they're photographing. From to photo, I'm assuming the gray surface of your bike has a somewhat matte finish to it, that's why it's lighting up so well compared to the darker, shinier paint of the blue part.

Light colors reflect light and darker colors absorb light, that's also why your jacket is not lit very well compared to your jeans.

Good attempt though. You'll never learn without doing it for yourself.

Reminiscing in the Archives by Tim Herschbach, on Flickr

Lumiquest SB 3 up and right.
Fill (mostly on shelf to the left) is umbrella right behind and above camera.
She has a halo/rim bare flash directly behind her head about 20 feet back pointed right at her.
Back further about 35 feet behind her is a bare flash on the floor pointed up and at the right shelf to give more depth to the scene.

Excellent use of multiple lights.

Don't let the thread die!!

Business Portrait by Tim Herschbach, on Flickr
WB flourescent, and all flashes gelled with 1/2 CTO and 1/2 Tough+.
LumoPro160 in a Cheetah 16" as key, high and right.
Lumopro160 fired at wall right behind my head for fill. The wall is about 4 feet in front of Geoff.
Lumopro 160 back and left, a bit above eye-level.
580EXII Justin-clamped to desk uplighting poster in back, zoomed to 70mm.

Self Portrait I created a few days ago....

30 day project Self Portrait by Tim Herschbach, on Flickr

580EXII bounced off wall in front of me for fill.
LP160 in an SB3 boomed overhead just out of frame.
Bare LP160 on floor behind me for backlight.
2x LP160's on stands in corners of the room back right and left, set at same power.

Two speedlights, both triggered by CLS.

Camera left an SB-800 manually zoomed to wide angle, 1/8 power, reflected into a 45" umbrella. The umbrella was level and eye high.
In the image frame you can see a SB-600 at the bottom of the telephone booth door. The SB-600 is pointing up into the telephone booth and is manually set to wide angle zoom and 1/16 power.

BoothIID907-28-9_020.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back