The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I really don't understand when a photographer posts, in the same thread, several pictures of the same subject, almost duplicates.
I don't understand the reasoning behind that.

IMO, there will only be one 'best' picture and thus all the others are just bringing the average down.

There are usually varied opinions on which is the "best" so I don't think it's quite as simple as you are suggesting. If someone is looking for critique and wanting to improve, posting a few crops of the same scene or various poses of the same subject, can be helpful in getting feedback on what worked and what didn't.

Only show the best you are capable of. Deciding what perspective, which crop, whether colour or B&W or sepia, etc., is up to you. Taking lots and lots of photos of the same subject in order to cover all the angles is perfectly reasonable, however, deciding what to show is the tricky bit. If you leave this decision to others, you can never grow.

Multiple shots are lazy. If the subject requires it, two or three photos are acceptable - but they must all show something new.

Only show the best you are capable of. Deciding what perspective, which crop, whether colour or B&W or sepia, etc., is up to you. Taking lots and lots of photos of the same subject in order to cover all the angles is perfectly reasonable, however, deciding what to show is the tricky bit. If you leave this decision to others, you can never grow.

Multiple shots are lazy. If the subject requires it, two or three photos are acceptable - but they must all show something new.

this assumes the person posting the pictures KNOWS which is the best.
its fine to feel that the decision shouldnt be left to others, but how do you learn if not by asking others?
a lot of people are posting here because they want to learn, and posting multiple shots, even ones that are only
slightly different, can help them get feedback on those differences, and hopefully they learn from it to one day
make the decision on their own.

The way to learn is to make a decision, stretch one's thinking, develop one's own skills and not always first depend on what someone else likes.

a lot of people are posting here because they want to learn, and posting multiple shots, even ones that are only slightly different, can help them get feedback on those differences, and hopefully they learn from it to one day

Really.
My impression is that people often don't ask which one do you like and why.
They throw up a bunch and see what happens.
Who are they getting good opinions from?
If, as you say, lots of people are posting here to learn something, then their opinions are only as valid as the poster.

Sort of shared ignorance.

The way to learn is to make a decision, stretch one's thinking, develop one's own skills and not always first depend on what someone else likes.

a lot of people are posting here because they want to learn, and posting multiple shots, even ones that are only slightly different, can help them get feedback on those differences, and hopefully they learn from it to one day

Really.
My impression is that people often don't ask which one do you like and why.
They throw up a bunch and see what happens.
Who are they getting good opinions from?
If, as you say, lots of people are posting here to learn something, then their opinions are as valid as the poster.

most of those people dont know how to properly look for critique.
they post pictures looking for help, but not really knowing how to get it.
half the time they then get flamed by people telling them they need to learn how to do some particular thing better, but dont
explain to them HOW they can learn.
too many members expect people to learn before posting here and forget that this forum is part of a learning process.
people learn differently. dont assume that there is some "super learning formula" that will apply to everyone.

"best" is subjective.
"good opinion" is subjective.

half the time they then get flamed by people telling them they need to learn how to do some particular thing better, but dont
too many members expect people to learn before posting here and forget that this forum is part of a learning process.
people learn differently. dont assume that there is some "super learning formula" that will apply to everyone.

I assume when you say 'half', you are pulling a big number out of the air in an attempt to add weight to your point.
My experience is that people are asked to hone their submission down to 1 or 2 pictures, maybe 3.

That is the beginning of learning, being told how to post to get the best experience.
Getting half-@ssed scattered comments isn't a worthwhile learning experience.

In fact, there is a how-to-get-best-critique post floating around.
It would be nice if new members and new posters would automatically get this how-to and improve the forum.​

But actually, that isn't what I was referring to.
I wonder why experienced posters do the same thing post 3,4 or 5 of almost the same shot?

I assume when you say 'half', you are pulling a big number out of the air in an attempt to add weight to your point.
My experience is that people are asked to hone their submission down to 1 or 2 pictures, maybe 3.

That is the beginning of learning, being told how to post to get the best experience.
Getting half-@ssed scattered comments isn't a worthwhile learning experience.

In fact, there is a how-to-get-best-critique post floating around.
It would be nice if new members and new posters would automatically get this how-to and improve the forum.​

But actually, that isn't what I was referring to.
I wonder why experienced posters do the same thing post 3,4 or 5 of almost the same shot?

Your projecting what you presume to be the best way to do something onto everyone else, and how they should post.

Maybe you see 4 or 5 of the same shot, but often times there are subtle differences that can change the way the picture is viewed, and the OP is looking for input on those things.
Just because you might be unable to divine those subtle differences, doesn't make them the same picture.

Perhaps you should consider starting a tutorial page for new members on how to properly take pictures, post them, and ask for critique.
If you put something cohesive together, I'll make it a sticky and you can simply link it to new members that you feel need help with their posting.

It is interesting that, of all people, you should take the lead on criticizing my thread and telling me about subtlety and critique.

Maybe people are just unsure and want to see what others think, especially if they haven't studied formally. This is why a good critique is so important. When I was studying photography, we as students all had to critique each other's work; the teacher would either agree with us or not, and would explain why. But it was a critical exercise in learning and refining our technical skills, as well as developing our vision.

It is interesting that, of all people, you should take the lead on criticizing my thread and telling me about subtlety and critique.
It is interesting that of all people, you should take the lead criticizing people for posting the same images over and over.

The way to learn is to make a decision, stretch one's thinking, develop one's own skills and not ALWAYS first depend on what someone else likes. ( emphasis added )
What is the factual basis for your conclusion that people who post multiple versions of the same image in a thread ALWAYS do so, rather than occasionally finding the best on their own?

Seems the Internet has you a bit out of sorts. Here's hoping things get happier for you.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back