Mum gave me old Praktica SLR.. some questions

Don't throw that strip of film away!

You can use it to figure out what went wrong. It's possible to pop one end of the cassette off and re-attach the film. You can then try again to load, wind off a few shots, and re-wind the film. Does your camera have a re-wind button that must be depressed and held while rewinding the film?

Torus34 said:
Don't throw that strip of film away!

You can use it to figure out what went wrong. It's possible to pop one end of the cassette off and re-attach the film. You can then try again to load, wind off a few shots, and re-wind the film. Does your camera have a re-wind button that must be depressed and held while rewinding the film?
ah sod! it's already thrown out and into the outside bin. As far as I know it's just lifting the little lever you see on the left hand side of my cam and winding in the direction the arrow points.. no depression or holding of anything really.

Please turn your camera upside down. There is a small button in a depression on the bottom of the camera. This button must be pressed and held down when rewinding in order to disengage the winding mechanism gearing.

With luck, if you re-wound without depressing the button, you have not broken or stripped anything. If the worst has happened, repair is simple and should not run more than about 50 pounds.

Torus34 said:
Please turn your camera upside down. There is a small button in a depression on the bottom of the camera. This button must be pressed and held down when rewinding in order to disengage the winding mechanism gearing.

With luck, if you re-wound without depressing the button, you have not broken or stripped anything. If the worst has happened, repair is simple and should not run more than about 50 pounds.
ahhh geez, right enough there is a button there. Thanks man.

50 is a bit much I'm afraid.. I'll just have another go with another roll some time. Atleast now I'm pretty well discerned on how to use the camera.. Is the roll attached to the cartridge it comes in? Or do you really have to give it some welly to rip it out like I done.

It requires considerable force to tear film apart. The end of the film is firmly attached to the spool inside the cassette.

The camera body is probably worth the cost of repair, if required. It appeared in the photos to be in excellent condition.

Please download and read the manual.

There are very few (read: none) camera situations where welly is needed to operate the controls. As a beginner (and a heavy-handed one) I've made a lot of situations worse, when I should have asked first!! At least all you've done is lost a fairly cheap film though.

It's probably a good idea to read the manual before your next film eh? ;)

Rob

lol, thanks guys.

I found a manual, and it will be read several times no doubt for different things. I was rather naive in thinking that all I had to do was wind it.

Oh well, it's a learning curve.

Most reactions

Back