Mum

Very good visualisation and conversion to B&W. But if I may offer an alternative for thought and consideration?

Why a pure black background? It's dead and offers you nothing except an un-natural transition from the delicate flower. You may say for maximum contrast, then I say you've placed it against the light grey background of the web page and so lessened the contrast. So what if you used a slightly 'lighter' black for the background and placed it against a white ground (or border). You would maintain the contrast against the background of the web page and have a smoother transition between the flower and the background. I offer the edit as an example only, but look at it and tell me that you don't see the background as black. If you use absolute black you set the range, you declare that this is the contrast. You also set a range that can look un-natural and be difficult to print. Use slightly off black and it looks more natural, is easier to print and looks the same as black? Burnt Umber, look at paintings and this is what you'll see, not black. Just food for thought. ;)

View attachment 124112
I have actually been considering different backgrounds. Black is all I have at this time. I am on it and agree but I am just not there yet, soon.

Ah. but black doesn't have to be completely black, try not to think in absolute terms. Do you remember the old CRT TV screens? When switched off the grey you saw was the darkest tone possible, yet it looked black when you watched it. Black on your LCD screen is just the deepest tone possible. There are deeper blacks and there are lighter blacks which all look just as black in context. What I'm saying is that viewed alone nobody could tell the difference (as long as it's a close black), but you can use it to create a slightly less abrupt change at the edge of the flower. A black with just an indefinable hint of texture rather than a dead black with none. As I said just food for thought. ;)

Very good visualisation and conversion to B&W. But if I may offer an alternative for thought and consideration?

Why a pure black background? It's dead and offers you nothing except an un-natural transition from the delicate flower. You may say for maximum contrast, then I say you've placed it against the light grey background of the web page and so lessened the contrast. So what if you used a slightly 'lighter' black for the background and placed it against a white ground (or border). You would maintain the contrast against the background of the web page and have a smoother transition between the flower and the background. I offer the edit as an example only, but look at it and tell me that you don't see the background as black. If you use absolute black you set the range, you declare that this is the contrast. You also set a range that can look un-natural and be difficult to print. Use slightly off black and it looks more natural, is easier to print and looks the same as black? Burnt Umber, look at paintings and this is what you'll see, not black. Just food for thought. ;)

View attachment 124112
I have actually been considering different backgrounds. Black is all I have at this time. I am on it and agree but I am just not there yet, soon.

Ah. but black doesn't have to be completely black, try not to think in absolute terms. Do you remember the old CRT TV screens? When switched off the grey you saw was the darkest tone possible, yet it looked black when you watched it. Black on your LCD screen is just the deepest tone possible. There are deeper blacks and there are lighter blacks which all look just as black in context. What I'm saying is that viewed alone nobody could tell the difference (as long as it's a close black), but you can use it to create a slightly less abrupt change at the edge of the flower. A black with just an indefinable hint of texture rather than a dead black with none. As I said just food for thought. ;)
I'm hungry, thanks.

This looks really amazing, what did you take this with?

Thank you very much. I used a 35mm prime at the minimum focus distance to give it a little distortion in order to enhance a 3D affect.

Black velvet blanket background, 100W 5200K bulb directly overhead with aluminum reflector. Settings; D3300, 35mm 1.8g, Tripod with wireless remote, Focus mode AF-S, Normal AF area mode, Center weighted metering, f/16, 1/2s, Manual Exposure, ISO100, Auto White Balance.

Wow! You certainly know your stuff!

This looks really amazing, what did you take this with?

Thank you very much. I used a 35mm prime at the minimum focus distance to give it a little distortion in order to enhance a 3D affect.

Black velvet blanket background, 100W 5200K bulb directly overhead with aluminum reflector. Settings; D3300, 35mm 1.8g, Tripod with wireless remote, Focus mode AF-S, Normal AF area mode, Center weighted metering, f/16, 1/2s, Manual Exposure, ISO100, Auto White Balance.

Wow! You certainly know your stuff!

Thanks, still a tremendous amount to learn. Only reason is I have been listening to suggestions on here and practicing them. A little discovery along the way is a bonus.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back