music exchange

ferny

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.blueyedmuffin.co.uk
An idea just popped into my head. Is anyone interested in some type of music exchange? I was thinking that once or twice a month the members would upload a track from an album and we'd each download it and have a listen. It'd be a good way of advertising your favourite band and finding new music.

This is just me sticking my head out to see who is interested. If enough people are I'll look into it. Obviously things like hosting the files would be a problem. We'd each need a small amount of space to upload a track to. Or perhaps a system where we e-mail each other? But that'd be messy I think.

Artemis said:
Its also ellegal :p
In the UK it's illegal to convert files without the owners permission, it's illegal to share files (but not illegal to get them) and it's illegal to publicly broadcast without a license. We'd be breaking all of those laws.

But it's only illegal if you get caught. ;)

I wasn't talking about huge, high quality files. Small 128kb (or lower) rips which would only get shared for a couple of days and then deleted from your site or wherever you chose to host it. I can't see record companies jumping on us, especially as the aim is to introduce people to new bands and music and given that it's only one low quality song and not an album or anything. Finding a host which allows you to upload mp3 or other file types could prove tricky. I've used my lycos account in the past.

I'd be up for it Ferny I love my music!

ferny said:
In the UK it's illegal to convert files without the owners permission, it's illegal to share files (but not illegal to get them) and it's illegal to publicly broadcast without a license. We'd be breaking all of those laws.

However, I don't think its illegal to upload files to your website for storage, incase something should happen to your computer... and well, if someone just so happens to stumble across such a file and download it, well - we just can't help that, can we...

(of course... we could make directories in our sites... all calling it the same thing... and give out our websites to everyone, and when we type it into our browser, we just add the extension...)

EXAMPLE: ... the extension is /TPF (we all use the same extension)... so if i were to tell you that my website is ohsixohsix.com and you just so happened to add /TPF (making it ohsixohsix.com/TPF) to the end of it... Well - I can't help that. (and you would find some music) :)

Did that make sense to anyone?

However, I don't think its illegal to upload files to your website for storage, incase something should happen to your computer... and well, if someone just so happens to stumble across such a file and download it, well - we just can't help that, can we...
You have full responsibility for your files in the eyes of the law. If you upload them to somewhere where people can get them then you can get done for it.

I was trying to think of a way to work it to. Do we set two dates on each month and we all upload a file on that day? Not everyone will be able to do it on the exact date.
Do we all upload a file by a set date, give someone the url when it's ready then leave that person to mass mail the urls on the correct day? Seems a lot of work for one person, plus it'd keep it so out of reach that no-one new would find out about it.
Do we all upload a file by a set date, give someone the url when it's ready then leave that person to post the urls on the correct day? Seems a bit more logical.

How long do we keep the files up for? A couple of days?

If anyone has any ideas please post them. :)
One suggestion I will make, don't name the files xxx by xxx, just name them week1.mp3 etc. It'll stop search engines finding the files.

Most reactions

Back