Music on your webpage?

I usually don't mind music to go along with a slide show.
It baffles me why so many people are so offended by it, that they will immediately move on. Keep an open mind.

That being said, it seems that a lot of people don't like music on sites so maybe it's not a great idea.

I thought it might be a neat idea to ask the mom to choose a song to go with the slideshow.
Remember that you would need to use 'Royalty Free' music or else pay for the use of a popular song.

I love sound on a website. Most websites give you a choice to turn it off or down. As long as the viewer has a choice I don't think its a bad idea. I have music on my site.

I do agree on copyright issues. I found an amazing local artist on myspace music and asked her if I can use her song. I don't think its unprofessional...to use music.. it is what it is.

If I go to a webpage and I don't like the music, as long as I can turn it off easily I usually don't mind. I think it's really common now for photographers to have music on their websites and if someone is searching for a photog and doesn't like music they'll catch on really quickly to mute their sound. (It's the same as Myspace, I know that if I search around on there I'm going to hear blaring music so i mute my sound if I don't want to deal with it).
Personally, I am still searching for something that would be perfect for my website so i don't have anything playing. But, for private proofing galleries I have decided I will have music with it. I think it is more high end and I did it for the first time the other day and proceeded to get my first order over 1K!

To me music on a site is irritating I agree with the others who say they turn it off right away. Another problem you could have is with users with slower connections who may have trouble seeing your content wich is what you want them to see in the first place. Also your photograpy should stand on its own and should not rely on music to jazz it up. You also run the risk of alienating potential clients who do not like our taste in music. If they are turned off by anything on your site it should be the content (I am assuming this is a photography site).

I had no idea that so many people found music on a website so irritating. It is good to know. I have three photographers websites that I love to look at, and they all have music. Thinking back on looking at them though, I guess sometimes I do close their sites faster than others because of the music. Like I said earlier, it is good to know how so many of you feel.

Also your photograpy should stand on its own and should not rely on music to jazz it up. You also run the risk of alienating potential clients who do not like our taste in music. If they are turned off by anything on your site it should be the content (I am assuming this is a photography site).

JIP, I totally get what you are saying about potentially turning off a potential client because you chose music that they didn't like, but I also think that most people understand that everyone has different tastes in music and will just turn it off and keep going.

But, I just think about movies I've seen (Eternal Sunshine for example) that were visually just stunning and awesome. But, would I have liked it as much if there was absolutely no music? I doubt it.

To the OP, sites I've seen where the music worked well were the ones where it started off pretty quietly and then built up a little more. It's hard not to be annoyed at least a little bit when it just comes blaring out right away....

I think if nothing else, the almost polar opposite opinions expressed on this page should be an indicator that it's better to err on the side of NOT including music and so not risk turning off a potential client than including music and not really helping to win them over. In other words, many of us who have said we DON'T like the idea say we close the site almost immediately. Those who say they like it just say they like it, with only one or two saying they thought it worked really well and improved the experience.

Add me to those who are suspicious of music on sites.

I'm probably already listening to music when I visit your website. Having to turn yours off is just annoying (but unlike some people, it isn't enough to make me leave immediately).

music on webpages are a pain. at least when it starts automatically

they embarrass you in public, when you open the page, they do the same when in the office, and they are annoying when you are on the phone and open the page.

also, often i just want it quiet...

i either turn down the volume, or just leave the page if it contains any kind of sound.

I find it extremely irritating, it makes me angry. KISS!

I can't understand why people glamorize their websites, you are selling your photography and nothing else. get to the point and surely that will attract attention.

I don't like music on websites, its one of the few things that can make me immediately leave a site. In most situations the music seems to over dramatize the pictures, almost as if the pictures aren't good enough on their own.

Here's one more vote for NO MUSIC on a business-oriented website. It simply has no place.

Always reminds me of the b.g. music you're forced to hear when some auto system puts you on hold for the umpty-umpth time. Or some god-awful head-banging noise playing when you walk into a lot of retail stores.

Besides, in my studio/workspace I have iTunes, two radios, a CD player and a cassette player. So I can pick my own b.g. noise if I choose.

I also - usually - have a yard full of birds. And I would much prefer to hear them most of the time.

Music is a No no on most sites.
It can slow the loading down so much on your site that a potential customer gives up.
Music annoys many many potential customers.
Music takes away from from your work (unless you are the musician)

I have created 1 Online portfolio with music only because the photographer insisted.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back