Music Photography???

PiXeL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there all,
I have just been to do some "gig" shots for my mates band...

These are my conditions
-Low light (night club)
-Flashing lights
-Fair amount of movement

This is what i have to work with

Film:
-Canon Eos 50
-Macro wide lens
-50mm lens
-Telephoto lense

Digital:
-Pentax K10 DSLR
-Standard 50mm lens

And also i have an external flash with hotshoe cable.

This sort of thing is entirely new to me and i would appretiate all the advice i could get.

Thank-you.

Well for one, what is the aperture on the telephoto. Bring both camera's, I'd say load the film with 800 iso film. Last Wednesday I got quite a few good shots at a gig with a nikon d200, kit 18-70 3.5-4.5 and the pop up when nessecary. Id say you might be able to get away with 400 iso with a faster lens but id take some 800 just in case. Also, be prepared to take LOTS of film and a big card or a few smaller cards. Depending how close you get the pop up flash could be used, just make sure to turn it down if you have the option (this is what I did so it didnt ruin the mood or overpower stage lights.

I doubt you will be able to get a good exposure with your telephoto. I shot my sister's dance show with my 55 mm f1.2 lens and 200iso film. It was a little difficult but I was still shooting 1/60 of a second. I would wager that your gig is going to be much brighter and if you have a roll of 800iso film you wont have much of a problem without a flash. The thing I found hard is getting a good depth of field at low light. At f1.2 I have pretty much no depth of field.

P.S if your friends band is an active band your going to want high shutter speed. Also, be wary of the mosh pit if one forms. Cameras can get trashed if your not careful, spilled beer and stuff.... ewwww

Yes do be careful, luckily my camera has weather seals. The concert was last Wednesday and more then once the singers threw water out of there bottles into the crowd.

Thanks a heap guys. I'll post a link to the band site once there uploaded :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back