musing world politics

Osmer_Toby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
is it just me or does the U.S. give knee-jerk support to israel, regardless of what israel does, even when it's against something the U.S. believes?

the israelis are being terribly aggressive just when we need them not to be, yet our reaction is always one of utmost, undying support for israel.

the actions of the idf are killing us on the world stage of propaganda, yet we veto un resolutions calling for the israelis to stop. EVERYONE IN THE WORLD except for the us has stepped up and condemned, among many other israeili policies, targeted killings of palestinian leaders. i'm confused. why do we allow israel to behave thusly and yet still blindly, automatically back them?

Can we have political discourses in this forum?

It does say "General OFF topic", but it seems to me Chase has recently put the thumbs down on politics in general. We're pretty civilized even in our disagreement around here, so I could be wrong. :D

Toby: it's NOT just you, my sweet. :wink: I'll keep it brief till a mod weighs in.

terri said:
It does say "General OFF topic", but it seems to me Chase has recently put the thumbs down on politics in general

Yep, thats exactly why I was wondering if the forum encouraged politics!

Well the thread on gay marriage seemed to stay pretty level headed. Of course I think people might have stronger opinions on this matter. I don't think there is a problem discussing the situation in Israel in the off-topic forum.

edit-

this was posted after voods posted just above:

ok. i can see why it might be good to discourage political topics.
all i can say is this was not intended to polarize our people here into several camps arguing their point, it really was a simple "wondering out loud" kinda thing. i really do want to know what people think about this, but perhaps here is not the place to ask.

although, i must point out, it's awful difficult to draw the line- when does a discourse become political? as an example, i point to the thread that evolved into a discussion of education in the us- this became political, no?

well, anyway, everyone feel free to pass this one right on by... i won't be offended! :D
(just a reminder- i believe in the way of love, and this "way" includes having respect and love for all peoples of the earth, without reservation) :sun:

Toby, so you think sending lil children to bomb innocent Israelies can be ignored? How do you think any country to respond to attrocities like that?

I'm pro/anti no one here. Just opening up with what I have observed!

Toby, so you think sending lil children to bomb innocent Israelies can be ignored?

i don't recal intimating that, nor do i think suicide bombings should be ignored. quite the contrary.

How do you think any country to respond to attrocities like that?

just seems to me that by killing in response to killing, all you get is more angry people intent on more killing.

Osmer_Toby said:
Toby, so you think sending lil children to bomb innocent Israelies can be ignored?
i don't recal intimating that, nor do i think suicide bombings should be ignored. quite the contrary.
No, I do not think you took a stand on anything here. Like you mentioned, you were simply thinking out loud. I see that, and I was not trying to 'attack' you!!! :). Was just opening up the discussion, thats all.

just seems to me that by killing in response to killing, all you get is more angry people intent on more killing.
I agree. Its a nice thought. But how practicable is it in the Israel-Palestine crisis where Hamas is bent on wiping out the entire Israeli nation?

Well it's definately an endless circle of violence.

But it's definately a sticky situation since Palestinians want nothing less than the entire chunk of land. They will not be happy with anything less. It's been offered yet they refuse.

But I'm not saying Israel is right either. The way they deal with the situation pisses me off too. I don't like Sharon and he is making the situation worse.

Sharon might be hoping that aggressive bulldozing would silence the foes in the long run.

Well, thats to be seen!!

But how practicable is it in the Israel-Palestine crisis where Hamas is bent on wiping out the entire Israeli nation?

avoiding the killing of fellow humans can never be impracticable. (i spelled that wrong, huh? :? )

and before i could answer your last clause, i guess i would need to understand better the reasons why hamas has such deep seeded hatred of israel. again, just to be clear, i absolutely do not condone the tactics of hamas. again, quite the contrary.

but, are there not two sides to every conflict? and to return us to my original question, why does the us response seem to be almost all in support of just one side?

Osmer_Toby said:
But how practicable is it in the Israel-Palestine crisis where Hamas is bent on wiping out the entire Israeli nation?
avoiding the killing of fellow humans can never be impracticable.

Israel must be under the notion that if you cut the head, the body will automatically wither away. UNLESS its a hydra like Al-Queda.

and to return us to my original question, why does the us response seem to be almost all in support of just one side?

If I'm not mistaken, a majority of businesses in the US is controlled by the Israelis. Business=Money=Power. I dont know; this is just an assumption!

I think it has been established that Hamas and Hezzboliah? are terriost groups. We all know what happens now after a group is allowed to go unchecked over time.
How many people have died in history because of crusades, war, greed, etc. This will be no different, it will be millions before it is over.
All in the name someone's god and religion. Because we dont think the way they do..
Peace is a dream. But Freedom is a reality, and we are willing to pay the price for ourselves and others.

Now I am rambling.. Newbie here.. hello!
I guess you struck a nerve. I have enjoyed reading all the post and pictures here.. You are a very nice group. Hope to converse more on other subjects..

Dee

Not related to the topic in general, but there was a question about politics on the forum in general. If it is in the off topic area, it is fair game as far as I am concerned. My recent post about requesting less politics is that was a seeing a LOT of political commentary in the photography section of the forum (even though some was directly related to the topic), and that is something I'd prefer to see less of unless it is in here.

Naturally, politics is a dangerous subject being that people tend to get very heated about it, but as long as we all keep things (what's the word I am searching for....) civil, I'm fine with it.

Post on!

Most reactions

Back