Must be just me that likes this one then...

I could've swore I just seen a shot like this, and then it came to me;

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58071

Myself being mediocre, I'd think it needed maybe a dramatic sky/lighting. More boat, full sails or less calm water, or the fix-all, a nekkid lady or two.

i guess when i look at it, it strikes me exactly as you discribed it.
You accidently ran across this barge and snapped a quick pick as it passed by.
I think it would do better with a more interesting sky and more in the frame. As it is, its just a picture of a boat.
I would have found it more interesting if perhaps i could place the boat in some setting. To me, the frame needs to stretch out in some more directions. I hope that helps

IMO pretty much 1/3 frame it, put something in the background, and dont' cut off the reflection of the boat.

I would not call it a bad shot, but what is in it that you like so much? For me, the lighting is very flat, and that would be probably the time of day it was taken. It needs drama, so early morning or evening has the most dramatic lighting. You have bit of a tilt in your horizon line. It's a nitpicky thing, but at a site like this, it will get noticed.

Thanks for the tips guys. The more I look at it, the more I realise it's not that great a shot. But I'm working on understanding why not and trying to improve, so your comments will definitely help there.

working with the image further that you already have, i think that if the boat had more pop, it would be a stronger image. the only thing to look at is the boat, so the center of attention needs to be able to hold interest on it's own merits. the boat isn't able to pull it off right now, but perhaps if the lines to the mast were stronger or you PS'd some orange sky :p

perhaps their isn't much you can do with this image anymore, but i wonder if focusing on a single aspect of the boat would make it more interesting then the whole boat. perhaps just the front section with the mast extending out of frame? perhaps sepia would make it look more interesting?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back