Must have lenses for D80

matic08

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I recently purchased a D80 that came with two lenses, 18-55 and the 55-200. I want to know what would be the next two lenses I absolutely should have. I like taking portraits, cars, scenery. If I can't afford a nikon lense right now what would be a good budget lense. Thanks for any advice!

The 55-200 is a perfectly good lens for portraits. Just use a flash indoors and it'll work fine. For cars ?? Car shows the 18-55 will work fine or for racing the 55-200. Scenery people typically use an ultra-wide lens and a telephoto zoom. You've already got a telephoto zoom so maybe you ought to consider an ultra-wide angle next? If you find yourself constantly at the 18mm stop of your 18-55 and wanting to go wider, that's a good sign. The Sigma 10-20 and Tokina 12-24 are both pretty nice and affordable lenses (<$500).

wow that was quick responses! thanks, Yeah my buget is a little tight, I know lenses can get very expensive. I was looking to spend about $400 at the most. I'll look in to the ones you guys suggested.

The "nifty fifty" 50mm f/1.8 is a fantastic lens. It just opens up so many different oppotunities for photography. It's fantastic for portraits as, wide-open, it completely blurs the background and gives the subject an ever so slightly soft looking appearance, but not enough to detract from other shots.

Interestingly, the 50mm is also great for still car shots, as it just gives a different perspective on photos and makes the car seem "compressed". Here are a couple of photos taken with a 50mm f/1.8 AI.

dsc1056smxp5.jpg

dsc1058smux2.jpg

Have fun!

If you have $100 burning a hole in your pocket, the 50mm 1.8 is the tops. If you have $250 eating through your pocket lining, the 50mm 1.4 is also pretty darn swell.

Whoa, you can get the 50mm f1.4 for $250???
For some reason I was thinking that lens was over $400.

I fourth (or third, or fifth?) the 50mm f1.8.
And your camera will actually autofocus that lens (lucky you! I have a D60 and have to manually focus it).
I actually could have been REAL happy just getting the D60 and the 50mm f1.8.
I rarely use my 18-55mm lens, but that's just ME. The 18-55mm is not only a good kit lens, but it's a GOOD lens, period. In fact, I think I'm going to head out today to see what shots I can get out of this lens. If it had a wider ap, it would be a perfect lens for me. I take a lot of my pics outside, in the shade. I needed something a tad wider as far as aperture goes.

AND, if you decide to get the 50mm f1.8 lens, since it autofocuses on the D80, you'll have an even better chance at getting good action shots with it, I think. I mean, I've gotten really good action shots having to manually focus the lens, so I would think it'd be even easier with the handiness of autofocusing.

Oh! And welcome to the Dream World of lenses. Join the crowd. I'm currently dreaming of getting a fish-eye one day.:mrgreen:

Enjoy your 18-55 and 55-200! While the 50 1.8 is also a good buy, everything else may be above your budget at the moment.

Using these 3 lenses will give you a better perspective on your next purchase.

thanks for all the advice, I think I'll be getting that 50mm this weekend. someday I'd like to get a fisheye as well.

thanks for all the advice, I think I'll be getting that 50mm this weekend. someday I'd like to get a fisheye as well.

You'll like the 50mm. I don't have one now, but my dad's old Nikon had one, and it was just easy to use, and it took great shots. Its kind of an anomaly in the lens market. Most of the time you get what you pay for, but with the "nifty fifty" you get a lot more than you pay for. Its cool.

I hate my 18-55. I almost never take the 50 1.8 off.

I own both the 50mm f/1.8 and the 35mm f/2.0 lenses.

True the 35mm is about three times more expensive than the 50mm :grumpy: , however I like it so much better because of the wider angle. The 50mm gives a viewing angle equivalent to 75mm, which I find too narrow for most shooting opportunities.

The 50MM is definitely narrow, and you'll miss out on alot of "wide" shots (although it can certainly take landscape shots).

I am of the opinion that the 18-55MM is a perfectly fine wideangle for what MOST people are going to use it for; hobby photography.

As for what I would recommend, it all depends on what you want to do.

The 50MM of course for an all around good "fast" prime thats sweet for portrait work.

The Sigma 105 F/2.8 for macro and portrait work as well (shouldn't be too hard to find used for 250-300 which isn't that expensive for what you get).

And of course if you have the scratch, the 18-200VR (from Sigma/Tamron) for an all around lens.

Yeah, the 50mm is definitely an awesome lens. You won't regret getting that one.

Another one I think is pretty nice is the Tamron 28-75 F2.8
I like it a lot from the times I've tried it. Very close to buying one for myself.

Most reactions

Back