Must have photography gear?

Jack2013

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,
I'm flying to Australia towards the end of this month and have a £100 Selfridges voucher that's burning a hole in my pocket and what better way to spend it than on on photography gear!

Ideally I'd like to get a flash and called earlier, they do have the SB700 speed light but it's £250 (so would still have to shell out 150).

I already have remote shutter release, ND filters, extra batteries, polarising filter, tripod...

Anything else I should have in my bag?

Hi all,
I'm flying to Australia towards the end of this month and have a £100 Selfridges voucher that's burning a hole in my pocket and what better way to spend it than on on photography gear!

Ideally I'd like to get a flash and called earlier, they do have the SB700 speed light but it's £250 (so would still have to shell out 150).

I already have remote shutter release, ND filters, extra batteries, polarising filter, tripod...

Anything else I should have in my bag?

Emmm.... a camera?

I dont see the info listed on your about page either. what kind of gear do you currently own? nikon/canon? which body(ies)? lenses? etc...

No idea what make and model of camera you shoot or what lens you have so it's difficult to make recommendations with regard to all that. Some other things that make sense to get:
--a reflector (ideally a 5-in-1 so it can serve as a scrim).
--a portable softbox and stand (depends on what you like to shoot/will be shooting in Oz).
--extra SD cards and an external HD for backup.
--if you don't have the ability to direct the flash off-camera then a set of pocketwizards or triggers.
--a good carrying device for it all (like a backpack/messenger bag/sling/holster).
--some gels that will work with the speed light that you get.
--a rain sleeve for your camera body and lens.
--good cleaning gear.

Stuff that won't take up much space in your gear bag:

- A good, discerning eye
- Patience to wait for the right moment
- Awareness of what is developing around you

Got extra memory cards?

How many camera batteries do you have? I like to have one in the camera and one or two charged up and ready to go in my bag, along with lots of memory cards. Nothing like seeing a great photo and not being able to take it.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Sorry for not being more specific, I'm currently using a Nikon D7100.

I already have:

-2 batteries
-Remote shutter release
-ND filters
-Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod/496RC2 ballhead
-2 SD cards
-2 TB External Hard drive
-Lowepro 400AW backpack
-Lense cleaning pen
-Nikkor 55-200mm
-Nikkor 35mm 1.8G
-Sigma 17-70mm 2.8 - 4
-Black rapid strap

Although I'm not currently in need of a flash, I feel I would definitely need it in the future (I plan to undertake a diploma in photo imaging), but £150 of my own money already taking into account the voucher seems a lot!

Plus I'm not even sure the warranty would apply in Aus, if I bought it here?

Gsgary - I did some research and did find it for £200 in Australia!

Last edited:

- A good, discerning eye

Good stuff--can you tell me where I can buy these? My wife in particular is willing for me to pay extra for me to have more awareness.

And Jack2013...here's a thought: think about what and where you're going to be shooting in Oz. Outback? Figure on a lot of dust (so maybe you go with more zooms so you're not changes lens, have good cleaning and dust-blowing/removal equipment--I know I mentioned that earlier). On the coasts or around water or sea spray? Than maybe a NDF or GNDF so you can score some lovely sunsets on the beach. Also, consider the weather. I can't remember when you said you're headed there but right now it's cold and rainy in some parts as they end their winter and move in to spring. So bringing a rain jacket that will handle your camera gear (or a bag that is water resistant) could be a smart move.

- A good, discerning eye

Good stuff--can you tell me where I can buy these? My wife in particular is willing for me to pay extra for me to have more awareness.

And Jack2013...here's a thought: think about what and where you're going to be shooting in Oz. Outback? Figure on a lot of dust (so maybe you go with more zooms so you're not changes lens, have good cleaning and dust-blowing/removal equipment--I know I mentioned that earlier). On the coasts or around water or sea spray? Than maybe a NDF or GNDF so you can score some lovely sunsets on the beach. Also, consider the weather. I can't remember when you said you're headed there but right now it's cold and rainy in some parts as they end their winter and move in to spring. So bringing a rain jacket that will handle your camera gear (or a bag that is water resistant) could be a smart move.

Thanks for the reply Joe, I think I'd probably end up getting into a bit of everything, hence the interest in the flash....

Unfortunately Selfridges marks up their prices by such an extortionate amount I'd probably only be able to afford the lens cap...

@ JoeW - unfortunately, I've been able to get mine only on the installment plan, and you only get a little bit at at time, never 100%. Seems to be usually available at the shop apparently affiliated with the School of Hard Knocks. And also usually, it's only available after some unpleasantness where having it would have made some difference. Eh. If you find a better source, let me know - my "supplier" is awfully stingy.

You can still get a flash, your first flash does not need to be a full blown iTTL compatible unit. You can learn a lot and do a lot with any flash with which you can control the output manually or that has a light sensor and can regulate it's own output. Here is an example of such a flash:

285-HV :: Flash with Zoom Thyristor :: Vivitar

It does not need to be one of these specifically, however I've used these for years with many different SLRs and dSLRs and I sometimes still do.

Here is a short listing from B&H of some choices, some very reasonably priced.

On Camera Flashes | B&H Photo Video

Get a Hufa fipr your Blackrapid....$20 US.... Will hold your lens cap. I have one even on my wrist strap.

Most reactions

Back