My 1st DRI, gas station

asco

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, this is the first picture i post here and it was my first DRI :blushing:. It's made of 7 different frames. I know the picture doesn't really express something, but what do you think of it from the technical POV?

It's nice and sharp. I like the way it's exposed. The composition is a bit random, it's very hard to see why you've taken a picture of half a petrol station!

Erm... anything specific you're looking to learn?

Rob

well I don't like the lighting in the because it's impossible to have all those different exposures in one shot unless as you say there are multiple frames. It's also not horizontal. The composition doesn't really say anything.

What were you rying to do?

I love the technicals of the shot. You've made a great exposure by putting all those shots together...I would never know how to do that. The lighting is so real to life that it's like I was there. Nice job.

Rob said:
...it's very hard to see why you've taken a picture of half a petrol station!
I didnt have too much options, there were a lot of obstacles and light sources that would have destroyed the picture.

Rob said:
Erm... anything specific you're looking to learn?
Yes, DRI :mrgreen:. I love that technique!

Thanks for your opinions :D !

A general point of view is to be had in the General Gallery. That is what the General Gallery is for.
The Critique Gallery is for some very specific critique of a photo, good or bad, or in answer to some VERY specific questions of the photographer. Hence I am going to move this photo over to the General Gallery for the general view that you are asking for, ok?

I sure like the colours!
And I haven't got a clue as to what DRI stands for :oops:

But I like nighttime photos of petrol stations!!! Have taken some myself, only mine were primarily blue and definitely not taken in this special technique, for I always only had one photo....

Great work on the DRI (especcially if you used 7 frames)!
Maybe you could post one of the frames to show the difference.

@LaPhoto: DRI stands for Dynamic Range Increase, a technique for getting a bigger exposure range by blending multiple pictures into one.

excellent results IMO. impressive detail inside the store.

Well now that I read what DRI is......good job!! It sounds tedious and difficult. I don't even know how you'd do it. Clipping paths and outlines in Photoshop I guess? Do you take all the photos at once (like within a 10 minute period let's say)? Probably, to ensure they are all EXACTLY the same POV.

Either way, I like it not as a composition but as a shot that really leaves me puzzling.

Thanks for all the nice comments!
I couldnt find a good english tutorial, but basically you use a tripod and make several shots with the same aperture but different exposure times, then blend them together with layer masks. The dark parts are taken from the overexposed, the light parts from the underexposed pictures.

I couldnt find the original shots of the gas station for comparison, but did another one from shots that i made last year:

The first one is an original shot, the second one the blended DRI version.
Just try it out, i'm just beginning with that technique and its fun :) .

Nice color...dude this pics is really good

asco said:
Hi, this is the first picture i post here and it was my first DRI :blushing:. It's made of 7 different frames. I know the picture doesn't really express something, but what do you think of it from the technical POV?

Most reactions

Back