my 1st Dslr photos

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by rickp, Jun 2, 2009.

1. rickp

rickp TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    i know i have a lot to learn so here are some shots to be picked apart by you guys...

let me know what you think and how i can better them.

im mainly just playing with the camera on the S priority setting and also in the A priority setting.

the daisy was taken in the macro setting and a 18-55mm lens

not completely happy with them but its all a learning experience

1.[​IMG]

2.[​IMG]

3.[​IMG]

4.[​IMG]

they are very random shots, im kind of stuck inside because of all the rain we have been having

2. William Petruzzo

William Petruzzo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    these look great for firsts!

1. Nice colors, good and sharp where you want it. Might be just barely overexposed, and the composure isn't especially interesting.

2. Really nice detail. I love the texture on the bottle's label and the composure is interesting. This one looks a tad under-exposed in the foreground. I would try bringing a little more light to the front, or else shoot from another angle.

3. This one doesn't peak my interest too much. Technically speaking, it's also underexposed.

4. I have no idea what this is, but it really looks interesting. This one is my favorite.

3. jess28

jess28 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I really like the last one. It is very intriguing, what is it?

On the first one, I would crop it down a lot, leaving a lot less background and really making the flower stand out a little more.

Pretty impressive for first shots!

4. bdavis

bdavis TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I believe I know what it is...its one of those "crystal ball" lamps with the lightning inside that follows your finger. Am I right?

Anyways, its a nice capture, makes a cool abstract.

5. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    #1 - over exposed (too bright, look for a smaller aperture or quicker shutter speed or lower ISO to compensate). The subject is too centred, composition is lacking (picture is boring). Zoom in closer, get a different angle.

#2 - I kinda like this one. Love the contrast in colours with the M&Ms (or Smarties hehe). I would try and reshoot getting the whole beer label in the picture, not cutting the top off of it. Nice exposure. Look out for odd / busy backgrounds that don't add to the picture, such as the candle and picture fram ein the back of yours. Try shooting from a different angle or moving the objects

#3 - under exposed (too dark). It seems like your focus point is on his ear hair when it should be on the eyes. Try getting in front and getting the eyes more in the picture, they are always the main subject matter for a portrait of people or animals.

#4 - Funky pic, I like this one. Seems scientific, like a radioactive sperm. My fave of the 4

6. rickp

rickp TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thankyou for the comments guys, i really appreciate it.

im glad so many of you like the shots. i agree that i need to work on composure of my shots, but until i read the replies to my post i didnt even know what that was LOL. But after a bit of reading i am begining to understand a little more about the subject.

im Glad you guys liked the Last shot, it was a bit ambiguos of me to try this shot but it worked. (yes it is a plasma ball)

it messed with my head because i needed a quick shutter to eliminate the movement of the electric charge, and i also needed to take the photo in really low light. it took a few shots but i was impressed with the final result.