my 1st real model photoshoot

i dont even know when to start ,
i didnt like that set, first the girl looks like she's trying 2 hard and she's not relaxed and know what to do .
her poses look a lil bit 2 much for the photos ,
second u need to try work with slave flashes to make the air and the photo more intresting .
and in the end u need to add some color work on photoshop .
it looks a lil bit dead by its color .

No make-up artist either?

Make-up is huge.

I agree that these need some work, but don't get discouraged. The more you do it the better you'll get. (Add that to all the hidden innuendo in this thread.)

It also helps to work with models who have worked before. New models and new photographers don't mix.

YOU DO need to direct the model. What she might think is "hot" usually isn't what works. Ever notice that the best modeling shots seem candid? There's a reason for that. Posing = stiff.

I disagree on anyone who says you need slave flashes to get decent lighting. That's simply not true. There is a LOT you can control with just one decent flash (Not the one your camera came with), and some lightboards or something.

I def needed some other lighting - it had rained off and on all day...was really frustrating!!

did another quick photoshoot at Benjamin Ranch Fri - the last few:
090608patriot0631.jpg

090608patriot0861.jpg

090608patriot0651.jpg

there were more, but the editor liked these three the best

I have a lot to learn in post processing...if anyone gets the urge to edit one and show me how much better they COULD look, i'd be very appreciative!

thanks for the critique team....good and bad....very appreciative!

that swiming suit looks so bad on photos ,
use something simple

Man, you need a monitor calibrator, some strobes, and better locations. The backyard is not a location. The locations though could be made better with strobe though.

It may just be me, but I'm really not a fan of very posed shots like those, her smile to me seems fake. Maybe you could try using a remote trigger and sit there and tell her a set of jokes and get the real smile. I like the ideas, really not feeling the poses or smile.

the one thing that got my attention was that it looked like shes sticking her gut out (not that she has a gut...) but it looks a bit odd.... study up on some posses for next time. have her mix them up. it she poses bad tell her what to do...

Everybody is cracking on you about lighting and the poses....... and I am in agreement.

However, you also need to make the best with what you have and edit where necessary to not embarass your model. I realize it's a play of reflection from the water, but you really need to use the clone tool on #4. I'll make a loose reference to the film [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XZOUTXKDgk"]Caddyshack[/ame].

Scrap it. She's turning herself into a complete butterface with those expressions. The best you can hope for with these is pulling out some of that dreadful orange tan in post.

Seriously. Some helpful advice for the OP. You and your model need to look up some things about models. Here's a link I know off the top of my head. Briana, the girl that writes this part of the Lighting Essentials blog, is a top notch model. She's not a runway model or a supermodel or anything like that, but she's so dynamic and needs very minimal direction.

http://www.lighting-essentials.com/model-behavior/

It's kind of hard with this being your first shoot. But if you're photographing models, don't be afraid to get in there and tell them to do stupid stuff. You both have to be loosened up around each other. Not "Well, try this. Ok. Try this." More like "Hey, it'd be really cool if you stood on your head to pretend you were an Octopus. No? What about a fence? YES!!!! Girls jumping on trampolines!!!"

You just have to make a connection with your subject. I'm not talking about trying to take her home later, but to the point where you can tell her to do something stupid and she laugh with you and play along and not think you're some guy with a camera.

thanks for the link - I realize I have a TOOOON to learn...tear. i'll report back if/when i do anotherone though - gotta get scrapes and bruises before you learn to ride good ;)

thanks for everything all!!!

Scrap it. She's turning herself into a complete butterface with those expressions. The best you can hope for with these is pulling out some of that dreadful orange tan in post.

:lmao:

here here.
we're photographers. not magicians.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back