My 2 boys and would love C&C please!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Reyna, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Reyna

Reyna TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I've been practicing quite a bit. Hopefully, they look good to the trained eye! ;)

Oh, and my oldest son is just VERY fair skinned. I warmed the skin and he still looks that white!

1. [​IMG]

2. [​IMG]

3. [​IMG]

4. [​IMG]

5. [​IMG]

6. [​IMG]

Thank you! The only way I can improve is by knowing how!

2. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just a general CC, you seem to have alot of head space on top of their heads in many images (1,2,4,5). They could be improved by not always centering their heads in the frame

3. Inst!nct

Inst!nct TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    First thing i was gonna say was wow that looks over exposed on the first one but it was just skin according to you :), but regardless, great pictures, the boys didn't seem to be overposing and thats always nice, i also like the natural backdrop, it creates an ambience while still keeping it natural.

nj!

random question: christmas pictures?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  4. Brian L

Brian L TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Great job!!! The first one too me is not over exposed. I would improve a bit on off center just to add a touch to the photo a bit more. Your practice does show. Good work. Color, white balance, all that is great. :thumbup:

5. Layspeed

Layspeed TPF Noob!

British Columbia, California & Philippines
    Photos OK to edit
    I think children make great subjects for photos. That's what got me into taking photos. I personally like #3 best. Keep up the good work.

6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Photos 1 and 2 have too much top space aka head space; photos 3 and 4 have a classic amount of top space. In almost all instances, your camera's lens height is too high above the eye level of the subjects. The horizontal framing of the fifth photo makes little sense,and you've done a remarkably good job at resisting the single biggest temptation beginners succumb to,which is to photograph single-person, standing portraits in a horizontal orientation for no good reason.

Your last shot, the full-length shot of the littler boy is probably the best shot, overall, from a technical and aesthetic point of view. The camera's not too high, his entire person is shown, the background is mostly well-controlled and out of focus, and the setting helps to give us a good sense of just how big he is. If you would have taken maybe three steps to your right, the tree in the background behind him would have been in a better location,and also the brightly highlighted park bench reflection in the lower right hand corner might have been eliminated or at least made less-distracting. While it's a small thing, a bright highlight at a corner of a shot is kind of distracting sometimes. But his position on the bench gives us a sense of how big he really is, in relation to his surroundings.

These are not professional-grade portraits, but you're doing more right than wrong I think,and the kids look good in them for the most part. Overall, I'd say lower the camera a bit more,and watch the backgrounds as much as you can. Strive for relaxed expressions and avoid forced smiles. Flesh tones and white balance look pretty good overall, colors are not way out of line. The second shot, of the littler guy crawling along, could benefit from cropping a tad bit off the let hand side, and a significant amount off of the top. That shot once again, SHOWS an age, a stage of development, that makes sense.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  7. PatrickHMS

PatrickHMS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Cute kids! Ya got home grown models for another 12-14 years...

What lens did you use (?), you could work with apertures and bokeh a little more.

8. Reyna

Reyna TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you! They are cute!

I used my Nikkor 55-200mm lens.

Thank you all for you CC. I will def. try to work on lowering the camera to eye level. I have a hard time not centering also, I must work on that too!