My 2 cents about the Sony DSLR-A55 SLT

dxqcanada

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have decided to write up something in this camera for those Sony/Minolta users in this Forum ... especially since discussions on Canon/Nikon are the dominant manufacturer.

The Sony SLT's are something I think many Sony/Minolta digital users would have questions about ... I know I did before I bought it.

Just got the camera on Saturday, so I have not had time to put it through the ringer ... but I thought I would post my initial impressions.

Background ... I have been shooting Film since 1986. I only got into Digital with the Sony DSLR-A100 about 5 years ago.
I am still getting used to the transition from shooting manual exposure with a Canon new F-1 SLR to a DSLR.

Most of this information is relative to my experience with the Sony DSLR-A100.

First impression ... there is a big difference in the viewfinder. This thing reminded me of my Canon's giant bright viewfinder. I can see for miles through this and it is very comfortable with my glasses on. I always had a issue with how small APS-C DSLR viewfinders have.

EVF, this was one thing I thought would take me time to get used to ... and it was not. It does not annoy me.
The EVF has a very high resolution so I really did not see it as an LCD screen. As I have never had a camera with Live-View, it is nice to "see" changes in exposure/colour as I adjust the camera settings ... and really nice to have that in the viewfinder.
There has been many comments stating that the EVF colours are not all that accurate, and they are possibly correct ... but I only use the viewfinder for composition and focus. That brings me to manual focusing ... the EVF has high enough resolution to be able for me to shoot in MF, actually it is easier than doing it with my A100 (also having more focus points does help) as the viewfinder is easier to look through.

I tried some manual exposure shots by gauging the image through what I saw in the EVF ... and the final image was almost spot on.
I will have to try this with more extreme lighting conditions.

Physically this camera is small. The grip is shorter than the A100.
I do not mind it that much, but I have a problem with the position of the dial ... it is too low for me, as my finger always moves higher than where it is. Too bad Sony will not make a grip for this thing as it is specifically designed to be small (I might check out some third party grips). The buttons on the back could have been positioned differently ... but with such a small body, I do not think Sony could put them anywhere else without decreasing the size of the LCD.

AF is fast, very fast and very low hunting.
I slapped on all of our old Sigma lenses and they have no problem with them. The 15yr old Sigma AF 400 f/5.6 APO feels like a new lens with the increased speed of focusing.

So far just snap shooting this camera is miles ahead of the A100 (even has the depth of field preview button) in image quality ... big difference in high ISO.

Overall I find this camera a great improvement over my A100. I find this camera more "usable" than the A100.

I will continue to post as I get some more camera time on this.

I've only played with the a55 in a sony store before and i agree with the very quick AF. it was kinda hard for me to tell how bright the viewfinder was because the store was really well lit with strong lights, so even a relatively dimmer VF would have seemed adequate. however even though its a great camera body, i wouldn't buy into it because of the lens lineup from sony/zeiss

Honestly, I would only currently recommend the Sony line-up to those that already have Minolta lenses ... or until Sony really extends their lens line up.

My wife had Minolta Maxxum equipment so it was natural for us to continue that route (Canon made my FD lenses useless !!!)

This post is for those currently using Minolta/Sony DSLR's.

Last edited:
Thanks for your feedback.

I have a A-390 and I'm considering upgrading to a A-55. Mainly for the faster AF, FPS, gps tagging and the ability to shoot video.

I'm looking forward to more of your feedback.

On Aug 24 Sony will announce there new lineup ... including the A65 and A77.

Not sure about your A390, but the A55 performs great at 1600 ISO.

The AF is fast.
The camera is quiet now that there is no mirror flapping. Very fast FPS which helps when handholding with the HDR.

I have not been out yet ... but I do not find the EVF so different from an OVF that I cannot use it.
Hopefully I will get some time on the weekend to really try it out.

Can't tell you about the video, as I would rather have had that removed and the camera lowered in price.

OK, more on the A55 ... went to the zoo.

AF = big difference from the A100. Had most of the images in focus, even shooting through glass.
Focusing is fast. Manual focusing was easier than I thought with the EVF ... actually did not notice that I was using an EVF after a while.

The camera does over-expose by about 1/3 of a stop (as reported by many other reviewers).
The EVF did well under low lighting situations.

Having live view in the viewfinder did prevent some Oops situations.

For it's small size I did not find it a problem to hold the camera, even with my Sigma AF 300mm f/4.0.
I would say that for those with big hands ... wait for the A65/A77.

Problems:
This camera brings out the faults of our lenses. I will need to upgrade glass.
I kept hitting the WB button with the palm of my thumb ... have to remember not to grip the camera so tightly.

Manual exposure is a breeze having an EVF ... yes, it is not exactly the same reproduction of the actual scene, but the subtle changes seen through the viewfinder goes a long way.
As I have not had a camera with a Live View LCD ... I did not appreciate being able to see the scene as the sensor does.

Did I mention that the viewfinder is huge ... and the newer A65/A77 has an even larger viewfinder.

Just got my A55.....one MAJOR thing that has not been mentioned here yet is the 10FPS

This thing is fast......

Have you tried shooting/filming sports or other forms of prolonged action? Is there noticeable EVF lag?

Right now I'm stuck between one of your camera's successor (the A65/A77) or the Canon 60D

1080/60p and 10fps sounds fantastic but I've heard mixed things about EVF vs Optical

Thanks for the good reads

I was worried when he said you can't use the full burst for raw photos but all is well since he said there is (slower than full burst) high speed mode at 7fps

And that still outdoes the 60D

Nice to see someone posting a positive thread on Sony. I've had my A55 since last October (the previous one was the A350) and I've never been happier with a camera. I have endured a lot of unfavorable comments while using it, but wouldn't trade it for anything, except maybe the new A77.

Most reactions

Back