My 5x7 and 8x10 pinhole cameras, plus photo

Thanks for the information and the step up ring info, will make my experimenting more fun. Thanks you have no idea how much this will make my work simpler to make and use.

Kris Navarro

Hi, Kris: I didn't make the camera, my cabinet maker did, and I'm no longer in contact with him, but I believe the body is made of inexpensive wood (plywood?) and then covered with a mahogany veneer and finished natural. The front is a more exotic veneer, not sure what, but it looks cool. The back frame is solid wood and I think that's maple. And you're right the sides that hold the hinges are much thinner; they measure just a tad under 1/4 inch. When I had my cabinet maker build this camera, I showed him an old Leonardo from Pinhole Resource, and he made the 5x7 in a similar way, with those fat dowls going down into a slanted track to hold the film holder tight, but then he came up with his own idea for the 8x10, which I like a lot. It's lightweight, fun to use, and with the sight lines, it frames quite accurately. One of most important aspects, even if you were to buy a Leonardo, is to mount a filter step-up ring in front of the pinhole, say 58mm to 67mm, so you can then use 67mm filters and a 67mm plastic lens cap for a shutter. And for anyone NOT wanting to undertake the building (I can't do it myself) a cabinet maker is a good option, or if you can find a luthier (custom acoustic guitar maker) who also has an interest in photography, you could get a very high level of craftsmanship in your camera, although that would cost more. Look up Jim Worland at [email protected]. We never went through with the project, but at one point I was going to have him make an 11x14 pinhole camera for me. Just need to provide these guys with a film holder, a professionally made pinhole in the correct size for the focal length, and the step-up ring, and let them have at it. You can buy pinholes at Pinhole Resource. Of course, the problem is finding time to do all the different types of photography projects we want to do. Need 3 or 4 lifetimes, I guess. Good luck!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back