My adventures with Nikon's WU-1a Wireless Adapter.

I understand if you shoot raw, this thing is useless. Is this true?
...The only reason you cant do more with the WU-1A is because Nikon is too lazy to create a better mobile application.

LMAO! Other than iTunes, Nikon probably has the top 5 worst software apps ever.

My issues with wireless control would probably be 'shutter lag' from all the latencies in the system. I'm thinking even the IR remote might be better for triggering the camera. I was going to try TriggerTrap, but never got around to it.

Now that Nikon FORCED me to go to the D7100, I will probably upload stuff by taking the SD card out of the camera and connecting it to my Rooted Samsung Galaxy Note 2 via the USB Host controller cable.

why weren't you using that other app dslrdashboard? the nikon app sounded totally useless so i held off on ordering a 1b until they hopefully released an update (i too am unclear as to why ANY software features would be left out in the first place). once i saw your post about dslrdashboard working, i pulled the trigger using some BH rewards credit i had.

Not all apps work with all smart devices. Various operating systems come into play, and even the camera itself may make a difference. An app may work with your D90, but not your new D7100.

And even your carrier can make a difference..... many carriers will disable some of a phone's factory features so it can be used on their systems. By doing so, they may disable something an app uses to operate.

why weren't you using that other app dslrdashboard? the nikon app sounded totally useless so i held off on ordering a 1b until they hopefully released an update (i too am unclear as to why ANY software features would be left out in the first place). once i saw your post about dslrdashboard working, i pulled the trigger using some BH rewards credit i had.

If i would have had my Nexus 7" home i would have used it... but DslrDashboard needs a large screen and the only Android devices i had home where a Samsung Galaxy S2 phone (screen to small for DslrDashboard) and a Kindle Fire 7" HD (that doesn't work with DslrDashboard). Not to sound biased, but DslrDashboard is your typical android App.... horrible UI, hard to use, poor lack of documentation :)

As horrible as Nikon's software is... it works with no fuss (maybe thats its selling point).

My issues with wireless control would probably be 'shutter lag' from all the latencies in the system. I'm thinking even the IR remote might be better for triggering the camera. I was going to try TriggerTrap, but never got around to it.

I think the shutter lag is due to Nikon's software.. It's streaming a live view image to the device and it seems to re-focus when you take the picture. In theory it should be just as fast as any other tethering option.

Now that Nikon FORCED me to go to the D7100, I will probably upload stuff by taking the SD card out of the camera and connecting it to my Rooted Samsung Galaxy Note 2 via the USB Host controller cable.

A USB3 card reader is the way to go... Or my yet un-named wifi download program :)

Hi, I kno I'm a bit late to this message but I was wondering how you are going with the software for the Nikon wireless adapter, I have the Wu-1b and d600 and find the Nikon software to be just a little but crap. I have a win8 pro tablet and something like this would be amazing.

Hi, I kno I'm a bit late to this message but I was wondering how you are going with the software for the Nikon wireless adapter, I have the Wu-1b and d600 and find the Nikon software to be just a little but crap. I have a win8 pro tablet and something like this would be amazing.

My focus right now is on the iOS app... and that's just for selfish monetary reasons. Nikons app is not a 'universal' program (its only built for the iPhone.. not iPad). My goal is to get it into the app store @ $4.99 :D

I'll post some video tonight of my progress... but a quick report: iPad app is ~%60 done. Live view is working (full screen on the iPad). Image downloading is working (Raw and Jpg). Setting camera properties is working (Fstop, shutter, iso... etc)... basically everything is working and its just down to the details. My target date for the app store is early August.

Once its out i'll finish the OSX version and put it in the Mac App Store (maybe around xmas).

This sounds great. If you need any testers (I develop and test apps for multiple platforms for international companies in my 'normal' job) just let us know. Otherwise I will be buying it once its released!

I have one, and im also using a android device, so if you need me to test it i would love to, maybe even buy the app from you afterwards :)
I would also like to throw out that nikons app does support raw, but once you download it onto the phone, if you dont have a app to handle raw then it doesnt know what to do with it, so its pretty much pointless to take raw with this thing if you trying to do something like live updates

if you dont have a app to handle raw then it doesnt know what to do with it, so its pretty much pointless to take raw with this thing if you trying to do something like live updates

I agree that downloading RAW files to a tablet/phone doesn't make sense. Its super slow (33mb+ files on the D7100) and there isn't much you can do with them... However, on a notebook its WAY more useful. When my test OSX app detects a new image on the camera it automatically downloads the file and it gets imported into Lightroom. I haven't pulled an SD card out of my camera in about a month :)

Got mine today, haven't tried it yet at all, I guess I'll fool around with the Nikon app on my iPhone/ipad until your app comes out.

Does any one know if the dslr dashboard (used for NIKON) will work with a Samsung galaxy Note 8inch? I already tested it with the 10.1 inch and it works . However I have to return the 10.1 inch as it has given me so many problems with it crashing and apps not working,etc..etc.. in the less than a week that I've had it. I like the 8 inch note much better and it doesn't give me problems like the 10 inch . I ordered the micro usb connector adapter thing, to try the app out with the 8 inch . Since no store in my area carried it, I have to wait until it comes in the mail before finding out if this dslr app will even work on this particular tablet.

i got a gopro hero3 black for fathersday. it has built in wifi and the app they have for it is great. full control/preview via a smartphone with a pretty good implementation imo. it just reminded me of this thread since it's basically the same type of thing except for the gopro. might be worth checking out for the OP.

gopro is awesome btw. between cars/motorcycles, snowboarding, dogs and the kid, there are so may uses for it. i made a harness and strapped it to the midget for a time lapse of his zoo visit:
i-QTLqqXZ-M.jpg

Last edited:
i got a gopro hero3 black for fathersday. it has built in wifi and the app they have for it is great. full control/preview via a smartphone with a pretty good implementation imo. it just reminded me of this thread since it's basically the same type of thing except for the gopro. might be worth checking out for the OP.

gopro is awesome btw. between cars/motorcycles, snowboarding, dogs and the kid, there are so may uses for it. i made a harness and strapped it to the midget for a time lapse of his zoo visit:

I would L.O.V.E a hero3 black... I have a ContorROAM i never use so i cant justify the cost of the 'black'. :(

My focus right now is on the iOS app... and that's just for selfish monetary reasons. Nikons app is not a 'universal' program (its only built for the iPhone.. not iPad). My goal is to get it into the app store @ $4.99 :D

I'll post some video tonight of my progress... but a quick report: iPad app is ~%60 done. Live view is working (full screen on the iPad). Image downloading is working (Raw and Jpg). Setting camera properties is working (Fstop, shutter, iso... etc)... basically everything is working and its just down to the details. My target date for the app store is early August.

Once its out i'll finish the OSX version and put it in the Mac App Store (maybe around xmas).

Hi, TheLost! I hope everything is ok with the app development. I'm looking forward to use it (to buy it, in fact). Since I've bought the Wu-1A (I own a D7100) I was wondering why Nikon doesn't develop a better app for this amazing unit. I wrote a bunch of emails to Nikon suggesting improvements on its lousy app, but they just ignore me.
Thank you for spending your time doing this, and I hope you make a lot of money on it (I think you will).
If you still need a tester, fell free to write me by PM.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back