My adventures with Nikon's WU-1a Wireless Adapter.

Update in my wifi project:

I got sidetracked with some (real) work and a few community projects so i haven't had much time to work on this project. Apple was also nice enough to announce a new version of iOS (7) with a few HUGE user interface changes so i've also had to update a few other app's getting ready for iOS 7... but...

Since i had to re-do some(most) of the 'look and feel' of this app i decided to cave to pressure and make it a universal app (it was originally just an iPad app). So all you people asking for an iPhone version stop emailing me!! :)

I have added 'geo-tagging' into the app.. Take a picture and my app now updates the GPS EXIF data of the image in the camera (no need to download the image from the camera). who needs the $299 GP-1A :) . If enough people want this i may break it out into a separate free app.. anybody like this feature??

I think i can still hit my August date however i may wait until iOS 7 is officially released. (The technical reason is because i re-did the project in xcode 5... and apple won't accept any app's developed in xcode 5 until its been officially released with iOS 7.. and i'm too lazy to convert it back to xcode 4.6)

Things i don't like about the WU-1a:
1) The Size!! its sooo small i've lost it a few times in my bag.
2) Kill's battery life!! It drains the battery FAST!
3) IT NEEDS TO BE BUILT INTO THE CAMERA!! (Canon 6D? Canon 70D?.. anybody?.. anybody? Nikon?). The rumored D400 better have this built in!

Things i really like:
1) The ability to work mobile with a small amount of equipment. (shoot, edit, crop.. send)

Hi "TheLost"

How are you coming along with that app for iPhone? I'll be your first customer, seriously. Paying $60 for a wifi adaptor that basically has no software to control the camera? Oh wow, remote shutter release! Thanks Nikon! I think they want you to buy this: WR-1 Wireless Remote Controller from Nikon
(over-priced remote)

I'd pay $10 for your app if it works. All I want to do is control standard things like f-stop/aperture, shutter speed, and bracketing. There are a lot of people out there who want the ability to bracket remotely, for HDR and other reasons.

Sure it would be better if it was built-in, but it comes with a small case to attach to the camera strap; besides, the device itself has a little cord to attach to the same strap while in use. If you do this, it can't be lost.

$adaptador-movel-wi-fi-nikon-wu-1a-p-p520-d3200-d5200-d7100_MLB-O-4246866093_052013 (1).jpg That's what I said.

Update in my wifi project:

I got sidetracked with some (real) work and a few community projects so i haven't had much time to work on this project. Apple was also nice enough to announce a new version of iOS (7) with a few HUGE user interface changes so i've also had to update a few other app's getting ready for iOS 7... but...

Since i had to re-do some(most) of the 'look and feel' of this app i decided to cave to pressure and make it a universal app (it was originally just an iPad app). So all you people asking for an iPhone version stop emailing me!! :)

I have added 'geo-tagging' into the app.. Take a picture and my app now updates the GPS EXIF data of the image in the camera (no need to download the image from the camera). who needs the $299 GP-1A :) . If enough people want this i may break it out into a separate free app.. anybody like this feature??

I think i can still hit my August date however i may wait until iOS 7 is officially released. (The technical reason is because i re-did the project in xcode 5... and apple won't accept any app's developed in xcode 5 until its been officially released with iOS 7.. and i'm too lazy to convert it back to xcode 4.6)

3) IT NEEDS TO BE BUILT INTO THE CAMERA!! (Canon 6D? Canon 70D?.. anybody?.. anybody? Nikon?). The rumored D400 better have this built in!

Things i really like:
1) The ability to work mobile with a small amount of equipment. (shoot, edit, crop.. send)

SO impressed with is app build I had to register on TPF so I could keep track! If you get this up I'd pay $10 for it easy! especially if you do go universal as I rarely cart my ipad about on photo trips but always have my phone.

The whole GPS feature you mentioned would be great too, as the P520 leaves GPS tracking on full time, not just when a photo is taken and drains the battery (which is already getting chewed by the dongle) so I never have GPS activated on the camera.

As for losing the dongle, as others have already replied, I attached the case to my camera strap (make sure it's on the same side as the port of you'll get all tangled like I did intially :blushing:) and then tethered the dongle to the camera strap attachment point, sorted!

Seriously excited!

P.S. Virgin post, forum looks great, hi all!

Last edited:
............Things i don't like about the WU-1a:
1) The Size!! its sooo small i've lost it a few times in my bag. .........

I toss mine into an old 35mm film can.

I have added 'geo-tagging' into the app.. Take a picture and my app now updates the GPS EXIF data of the image in the camera (no need to download the image from the camera). who needs the $299 GP-1A :) . If enough people want this i may break it out into a separate free app.. anybody like this feature?? ....

Any alternatives to the GP-1A are good! :) And from your point of view it would be good marketing. Although I'd prefer a non-iOS version.... Since I hate LiveView with a passion :), I'm more interested in the remote trigger and geotagging aspects.

As for battery life - it's such an underrated feature, but manufacturers never pay much attention to it. Bluetooth is much kinder than Wifi in this respect, it would be a natural for camera applications. I have seen a Bluetooth adapter for Nikons (from Germany or somewhere??), but it's about twice the price of the WU-1a.

Supposedly the D5300 will have both GPS and Wifi, but the D610 won't.

Hi!

Just recently bought the WU-1a. I like the potential of the hardware, but the software is holding it back.

Anyway, any updates on your app? Like others here, I would gladly pay $10 for your app. If you need additional testers also, I have access to a developer account.

Nikon's software has been bad for over a decade. The just do NOT 'get it'. Thom Hogan takes Nikon to task on virtually every single software app they release. I just finally gave up on all Nikon software.

I agree, the software makes the WU-1a hot garbage. I messed with the app and the software for almost a week before I returned it and deleted the app from my phone.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back