My adventures with Nikon's WU-1a Wireless Adapter.

TheLost said:
2939353When you connect to the WU-1a with your phone or tablet it uses PTP/IP (Picture Transfer Protocol over IP). In theory you can do everything over IP you can with USB, only the transport method has changed. Since you can pull RAW files off your camera with a USB cable you should be able to pull them off with the WiFi Adapter. A few people have tested this with good results using a D800 (a camera not supposed to be supported by the wifi adapters!)

TheLost, back on page 1, post #5 you wrote the information quoted above. I am trying to get WiFi on a D800 for less than Nikon's $1,000 solution using the UT-1. Do you have any more information about the few people mentioned above that had good results with the WU-1a?
Thanks!
MikeF

Hi,

I just got at wu-1a for my D7100, and the poor software makes the experience quite underwhelming to say the least. There is definitely a need for decent third party apps.

TheLost, are you still working on your project for an app? Would be great to get a more versatile app than what nikon provides us.

Hi,

I just got at wu-1a for my D7100, and the poor software makes the experience quite underwhelming to say the least. There is definitely a need for decent third party apps.

TheLost, are you still working on your project for an app? Would be great to get a more versatile app than what nikon provides us.

The project is still going forward and i'm kind of excited how its turning out. I'm not posting any more updates here due to the backlash i get.

PM if you want any updates.

Hello TheLost,
Not sure what you mean by "backlash" - why would you get complaints about a promising project to improve a potentially useful product suffering from software problems? I hope all is going well. Could you post an update as to the progress? We are waiting out here with great anticipation!

Hello TheLost,
Not sure what you mean by "backlash" - why would you get complaints about a promising project to improve a potentially useful product suffering from software problems? I hope all is going well. Could you post an update as to the progress? We are waiting out here with great anticipation!

I still get a ton of PM's about this thread... I've answered most people (unless you had a 0 post count)..

By "backlash" i was talking about people giving me grief for being a 'wifi advocate'. I got quite a few complaints saying i was only trying to boost sales of my app. Thats basicly when i started ignoring this thread.

As for the App itself.. I sold it to a video production software company back in October. They where supposed to have it in the App store around Christmas, but its still not released yet. I have no control of what they do with it... they are on their own schedule. I don't know when.. I don't know whats taking so long.. I took the money and ran..

I hold the rights to the PTP/IP library (the guts of the program) but signed a non-compete saying i wouldn't produce the same type of app for a specified time frame. Since non-competes are a bit of a gray area it doesn't really mean much :). I've added support for Canon cameras... and am waiting for verification on Fuji's wifi. I will have apps released soon.. i'm not going to talk about them here. PM me if you want more info... But if you don't participate on this forum (ie.. you don't post on this site) i probably won't respond.

People on this forum are still anti WiFi.. I go out of my way not to stir the pot but sooner or later people are going to start to get it..

I'll end this thread with a quote from Thom Hogan
An Interesting Choice of Words | byThom | Thom Hogan
As I’ve pointed out for years now—indeed, pretty much since I discovered in 2007 that I could sit on the side of Kilimajaro and have people on the other side of the world see what I was seeing in near real time—DSLR and most other cameras are still executing the "take picture, take physical media out of camera, process it and distribute it using something else out of the control of camera makers" type of workflow. Most consumers are using more sophisticated and intricate workflows with their smartphones now, and we’re also seeing smartphone cameras that can be “programmed.” Yet we don’t really see either in regular cameras. True, there have been a few baby steps, but poorly done.

Wait.. i'll end with this!!!

This thread has 26,480 views... Some Nikon owners must want more from WiFi then Nikon is giving them :)

I still get a ton of PM's about this thread... I've answered most people (unless you had a 0 post count)..

PM me if you want more info... But if you don't participate on this forum (ie.. you don't post on this site) i probably won't respond.

Why are you ignoring people who have never posted here? I am on way too many forums to maintain a presence everywhere... but I still want to buy the app.

PM me if you want more info... But if you don't participate on this forum (ie.. you don't post on this site) i probably won't respond.

Why are you ignoring people who have never posted here? I am on way too many forums to maintain a presence everywhere... but I still want to buy the app.

Hows this for an example.. after posting my message ~30 minutes ago.. I had 3 PM's from people wanting a status update (you included :) ).

The idea of this thread wasn't to get people to buy my app.. It was to get people talking about what wireless can do (or should do) for Nikon photographers.

Take a look at Fuji's software..
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fujifilm-camera-remote/id793063045?mt=8

and then take a look at what Nikon gives us..
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wireless-mobile-utility/id554157010?mt=8

Which would you rather have?

I think you NEVER worked in this app. You're just trolling all Nikon users. It simply doesn't exist.

It's quite simple IMAGINE an app better the "Nikon Mobile Unit" lousy software. If anyone who has the hability to do this put it to work, surely can get A LOT of money. It doesn't make sense "selling the app" to a company who will never release it (You already said the app was ready, somewhere in this thread).

Stop trolling everyone and go take pictures (without the WU-1a).

I think you NEVER worked in this app. You're just trolling all Nikon users. It simply doesn't exist.

It's quite simple IMAGINE an app better the "Nikon Mobile Unit" lousy software. If anyone who has the hability to do this put it to work, surely can get A LOT of money. It doesn't make sense "selling the app" to a company who will never release it (You already said the app was ready, somewhere in this thread).

Stop trolling everyone and go take pictures (without the WU-1a).

You can think what you want..

But you have some misguided ideas on how software development works. Lets take the classic 'flappy bird' for example... Do you know who made the REAL money with the Flappy Bird craze? They guys who sold Flappy Bird knock-off source code to other developers who couldn't figure out how to do it. How to Make a No. 1 App With $99 and Three Hours of Work | Game|Life | Wired.com

The guy who was selling this..
Product details | Chupamobile
... made more money then the people who used his software to make a 'Flappy Bird' clone..

What do you think Adobe makes more money on... Selling Photoshop? Or licensing their PDF SDK (software development kit)?

I didn't sell an app... I sold my knowledge of the PTP/IP protocol.

PS. Thanks for proving my point about why i didn't like responding to people who don't post on this forum :)

I think it's a great thing to see a shortcoming in something, work on it for your own intentions. But, as you mentioned, "take the money and run" is sometimes hard to not do when it involves, well, money.

I don't understand the Wifi problem. ppl complain about wired triggers, and then the IR triggering shortcomings, so it has to be RF .. then you have all the brands of radio triggers et all and the high price of say PocketWizards. Wifi is just another TOOL to use for photography.

I wish the Wifi adapter was builtin, if not the camera itself then the grip.

I decided to go the eye fi sd wifi card route ...

It's not a bad option really, I decided against it because I'm too spoiled - I just couldn't go back to a 45 mps card after shooting with the 95 mps Sandisk extreme pro's - they just made too big of a difference. Really the only thing I use wifi for is image preview - I carry a nice lightweight 10.1 inch android tablet, when I need to I throw the wi-fi adapter on the camera and I can preview my images on a much larger screen. A lot of times on the small lcd screen on the camera you can't tell if you missed a focus point, etc - so I spend a few minutes going through what I shot and see if maybe there are some that I really need to go back and reshoot.

So far the process has worked out well for me - I still use the usb cable to actually transfer the files to the big computer when I get home.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back