My All Time Favorite Lenses

benjikan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My All Time Favorite Lenses

As I have worked with many of the SLR's and Medium Format camera's out there, I want to share with you some of my favorites. In my career I used Nikon, Canon, Pentax SLR's and all of the Medium Format stuff out there.

My choices are based on my most frequent go for lenses when doing actual projects in the past and present.

Nikon: 85mm f/1.4 Nikkor Al-S
Nikon: 28mm f/2.0 Nikkor Al-S
Nikon: 50mm f/1.2 Nikkor Al-S
Nikon: 105mm f/2.5 Nikkor Al-S

Pentax: smc Pentax DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited
Pentax: smc Pentax FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited
Pentax: smc Pentax DA Star 16-50mm f/2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM
Pentax: smc Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4
Pentax: smc Pentax DA 12-24 f/4.0 ED AL (IF)

Canon: EF 17-40mm f/4.0 L USM
Canon: EF 35mm f/2.0
Canon: EF 28mm f/2.8
Canon: TS-E 45mm f/2.8
Canon: TS-E 90mm f/2.8

Well, there you have it.

Ben
Benjamin Kanarek Blog » My All Time Favorite Lenses

PS forgot to add:

Tamron: SP AF 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di LD (IF)
Tamron: SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro

I would have to add the Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 to the list. It's the nicest zoomed lens I've ever used.

I have the 50-135, but as I said, the lenses I used the most and went for more than any.

I'd take the 16-30 f/2.8 over the 17-40 and the 70-200 f/2.8L IS.

I think you mean the 16-35 f/2.8. Had it, got rid of it for the 17-40 and Tamron 28-75 combo. The 17-40 had better edge definition. Was tighter all round.

It's seems like as you're career has develops, you've gravitated away from "typical" portrait lengths and more towards the shorter end of the spectrum.

I would have to say, that my personal Favorite is the Nikon 24-70 F2.8. It is just a fun lens that is super sharp, it is a good range mixed with good speed. I think I use it 70% of the time. I have not used my primes as much since I picked it up.

No single answer except the one that works for the shot at hand.
My Pentax H1a, that I used for decades, had a standard 55mm lens. I probably took more shots with that lens than any other three combined over the years. There was a day when we moved back and forth instead of zooming.

Well back in my day, we didn't have cameras that gathered light for us. We had to go gather the light ourselves, and bring it back to the camera.

Most reactions

Back