Photos OK to edit

Last edited:
Not seeing any photos, just red x's

hmm yeah. I'm not sure why there not showing up :\

ahh thankyou :D
I probably should have checked before i used this xD

i like the focus in the 3rd one
im 14 too :D what camera do you have?

I've still only got a simple digital camera, Samsung P1000.

I'm saving up for a new camera though :) I'm getting there, just very slowly :(

I've still only got a simple digital camera, Samsung P1000.

I'm saving up for a new camera though :) I'm getting there, just very slowly :(

awhh haha i
once you get that new camera itll be worth the wait!

one thing that you'll learn once you start editing your photos is that most all of them could use some sharpening, a little bit of saturation, and sometimes a little bump in contrast.
you look like you got the right eye for composition, and i can tell youll be well on your way once you get a new camera :)

what cameras have you been lookin at?

-im 15 and hooked on photography. welcome to the forum :)

Those shots are really good. The compositions are nice. The first one is the best I think. I like how you captured the sunlight through the leaf in the second one. The third, while an excellent view of DOF, is a picture of some blades of grass :)

Since your photos are not OK for people to edit, may I suggest that you do a little post processing on the first one? I'm just itching to try it :) It would be very easy to make that one stand out so much more. I would readjust your color levels a little, boost the contrast and saturation ever so slightly, and sharpen just a little bit. You'll be amazed how easy it is to make it come to life.

Well done!

Matt

Um, well I can't actually think of any camera's that I've been looking at. All i know is they're proper good expensive ones! I know the main makes i've looked at is Canon :)

I've changed it too my photo's are okay to edit now because I guess if a few people wanted to edit them and show me how to improve it would be a big help :) so feel free :) and thanks for the comments on my pictures!

Um, well I can't actually think of any camera's that I've been looking at. All i know is they're proper good expensive ones! I know the main makes i've looked at is Canon :)

I've changed it too my photo's are okay to edit now because I guess if a few people wanted to edit them and show me how to improve it would be a big help :) so feel free :) and thanks for the comments on my pictures!

I did exactly what I had suggested above and I think it's a big improvement.

3848468638_ed96f39889_o.jpg

If you get a DSLR, you'll also have the advantage of taking RAW photos, which will give you even more control after the photo is taken.

Matt

I'm 14 and for around about a year now I've taken an interest to photography. I've tried a few times but my pictures never seem as good as I hope. I haven't yet got round to editing my photo's, but I do plan on making a start on tweaking them a little bit. If I'm honest, even I know these pictures aren't that good :\ but anyway some advice on how to improve would be much appreciated, thanks!
At 14 with a Point n Shoot you are doing well. A big part of photography is knowing when NOT to shoot. On a foggy day like in #1 you will get a foggy photo, editing can improve it but only to an extent.

In 2 you did a fine job of getting sunshine and the tree at same time. There is a bit of flare though. To reduce flare in such a shot FLAG the lens (this is a light block from the sides) .

Keep working at it. You are looking good so far.

Dan

Those shots are really good. The compositions are nice. The first one is the best I think. I like how you captured the sunlight through the leaf in the second one. The third, while an excellent view of DOF, is a picture of some blades of grass :)

Since your photos are not OK for people to edit, may I suggest that you do a little post processing on the first one? I'm just itching to try it :) It would be very easy to make that one stand out so much more. I would readjust your color levels a little, boost the contrast and saturation ever so slightly, and sharpen just a little bit. You'll be amazed how easy it is to make it come to life.

Well done!

Matt

Ok, no. Seriously... no.

He's 14 so let's not dash his hopes, but let's not artificially pump him up either. The world has enough of that lately and we don't need to contribute to it here.

To the OP... these shots are not good, but that's ok. You're 14, you're new at this and you have a lot to learn. I'm 38, been doing this in an almost fevered fashion for nearly 10 years, and I still think my shots need a lot of work. It's a tough hobby with a steep and bizarre learning curve. If you love it, stick with it, don't get discouraged.

The first thing I would suggest is picking up a book called "Understanding Exposure". It is generally a very highly regarded book on the basics of photography.

There's a lot to learn, as I said, but some initial points for your images here would be...

1. Learn about the Rule of Thirds. (google it) It helps a lot with basic composition strength, and while it's not something you should always follow, it's a good idea to stick with it until you understand enough on when to break the rule.

2. Get phootoshop or gimp. You need it. Small adjustments are often necessary with digital images (at least cropping) and without it most pictures are simply not complete. Otherwise it's like letting the processing guy at the lab decide what your art should look like. Bad plan.

3. Make sure your pictures have a subject. Something of interest for the viewer to look at. (grass in focus, all else not... makes us look at grass... grass isn't interesting) (as an example) Focus, position in frame (rule of thirds), lighting, depth of field, and a variety of other things determine where our eyes go in a picture... learn to use these things to make us look at something interesting.

BTW, my take on your first picture (your best, imo) is below. I'm still not happy with it because there's only so much I can do with a jpeg, but you can see some things I did. This is an example of how cropping and a bit of tweaking can improve an existing image. (concept 2 above)

EDIT: bah, I just noticed this picture is also slanted but I don't have time to fix it.

042.jpg

As I say, keep at it. Also, stick around here as people will tend to be helpful. But you also have to learn how to weed out people who either bash you unecessarily or unconstructively, and those who say you're just awesome. Neither is going to help you grow. (no offense, moze)

Most reactions

Back