My battle against the evil shoe company aka who was in the right?

Who was right?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shutterpug

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So yesterday I went and dropped a whole sixty bucks on a new pair of sneakers for a friend of mines birthday. He wears size 9 1/2. The box I got said 9 1/2. I opened the box to make sure both were there and they were both present and accounted for. My mistake was taking the box at face value because it turns out the shoes were a size 9. So I buy them, give them to my friend, and he wears them to work today. At the end of his day his feet were hurting from the shoes so he checks the shoes themselves and finds out they're the wrong size. So I get my receipt and the shoes, the box, and even the fu**ing bag they came in and go back to the mall which is about a 12 mile trip for me one way. I tell them I need to exchange them, they pull out the shoe and because it has been "worn" with a very light layer of dust that you could wipe off with an alcohol rag they can't resell them. Now I could understand if they were caked in mud or had holes tore in them or something but they still look brand new except for a little dirt on the bottom. So now unless I can find a person that wears a size 9 and just happens to need or want a new pair of shoes I'm out sixty dollars. Anyway just out of curiosity and a need to vent I decided to come here and ask you good people your opinion. Who was in the right? Me or the evil shoe store?

What's their return policy? A business isn't evil because they have policies that they go by.
Apparently their policy is if it's got a slight speck the shoes are unreturnable. But policy shouldn't dictate common sense in my opinion.

I know a place you can buy used underwear. Only worn once to church on Sunday.

Sorry, we are talking about shoes here, shoes that were worn an entire day by a person. I am not saying your friend is some sort of typhoid Mary, but there are over 100 types of foot fungi, not to mention that due to their natural environment, no matter the amount of washing they are one of the germiest parts of the body.

Sorry, we are talking about shoes here, shoes that were worn an entire day by a person. I am not saying your friend is some sort of typhoid Mary, but there are over 100 types of foot fungi, not to mention that due to their natural environment, no matter the amount of washing they are one of the germiest parts of the body.
You have a point but what about all the people that try those same pairs of shoes on day after day? By the time you buy a pair of shoes there might have been 100+ feet in them from people trying them on for fit or style. Are those feet magically germ free?

i like to get off work from my 24 hour shift and immediately go to a shoe store and try on about a dozen pairs of shoes before I go home. its very relaxing.

probably should have made sure the shoes were clean before returning them. if they were as easy to clean as you say, it probably wouldnt have taken you much time to get back to "like new" condition where returning them wouldnt have been a problem.

If the shoes were marked incorrectly, that's the fault of the factory and by extension the retailer from whom you purchased them. Their return policy is null and void. You entered into and honoured your half of a contract to purchase a pair of 9 1/2 shoes. They failed, therefore they owe you a pair of 9 1/2 shoes of the type you intended to purchase.

Apparently their policy is if it's got a slight speck the shoes are unreturnable. But policy shouldn't dictate common sense in my opinion.

Well if that's their policy, then that's their policy. I always check the actual shoes size for this exact reason.

If the shoes were marked incorrectly, that's the fault of the factory and by extension the retailer from whom you purchased them. Their return policy is null and void. You entered into and honoured your half of a contract to purchase a pair of 9 1/2 shoes. They failed, therefore they owe you a pair of 9 1/2 shoes of the type you intended to purchase.
An excellent point. I asked to speak to a manager but "one was not available".

You have a point but what about all the people that try those same pairs of shoes on day after day? By the time you buy a pair of shoes there might have been 100+ feet in them from people trying them on for fit or style. Are those feet magically germ free?
If the shoe store does not have a policy that all shoes must be tried on with socks or foot sox then it is not a place that I will shop for shoes. Most health codes require that all footwear must be tried on in store with some sort of socks or even better foot sox. There is also a difference between a couple of minutes and 8 to 10 hours.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If the shoe store does not have a policy that all shoes must be tried on with socks or foot sox then it is not a place that I will shop for shoes. Most health codes require that all footwear must be tried on in store with some sort of socks or even better foot sox. There is also a difference between a couple of minutes and 8 to 10 hours.

But the business is definitely evil if they follow health codes...

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Anyway just out of curiosity and a need to vent I decided to come here and ask you good people your opinion. Who was in the right? Me or the evil shoe store?
I would never buy an article of clothing for a friend.

Why didn't you get him a cake?

Most reactions

Back