My battle against the evil shoe company aka who was in the right?

Who was right?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If the shoes were marked incorrectly, that's the fault of the factory and by extension the retailer from whom you purchased them. Their return policy is null and void. You entered into and honoured your half of a contract to purchase a pair of 9 1/2 shoes. They failed, therefore they owe you a pair of 9 1/2 shoes of the type you intended to purchase.
An excellent point. I asked to speak to a manager but "one was not available".
It's amazing how quickly managers can be found and/or decisions rendered in your favour when you discuss very loudly, just outside the entrance of a store, the nature of the problem you are having with them, and how their failure to assist has ruined your friend's birthday and cost you your last $60.

If the shoes were marked incorrectly, that's the fault of the factory and by extension the retailer from whom you purchased them. Their return policy is null and void. You entered into and honoured your half of a contract to purchase a pair of 9 1/2 shoes. They failed, therefore they owe you a pair of 9 1/2 shoes of the type you intended to purchase.
An excellent point. I asked to speak to a manager but "one was not available".
It's amazing how quickly managers can be found and/or decisions rendered in your favour when you discuss very loudly, just outside the entrance of a store, the nature of the problem you are having with them, and how their failure to assist has ruined your friend's birthday and cost you your last $60.
I suppose I'm not confrontational enough for my own good.

So if you picked up a box marked 9 1/2 but didn't check to make sure there were two shoes that were actually 9 1/2 in the box (and they were size 9 instead)... probably you should have checked the size on the shoes. At least this sounds like one of those stores where the boxes are out and people take them off the shelves and try them on themselves and shoes get stuck back in the wrong boxes often enough.

And with that policy, it probably would have been better to have the friend try them on at home before wearing them out and about. I don't know how much you can argue with the policy when the shoes had obviously been worn and weren't in new, salable condition anymore. It's lousy though that you're out the money.

So yesterday I went and dropped a whole sixty bucks on a new pair of sneakers for a friend of mines birthday. He wears size 9 1/2. The box I got said 9 1/2. I opened the box to make sure both were there and they were both present and accounted for. My mistake was taking the box at face value because it turns out the shoes were a size 9. So I buy them, give them to my friend, and he wears them to work today. At the end of his day his feet were hurting from the shoes so he checks the shoes themselves and finds out they're the wrong size. So I get my receipt and the shoes, the box, and even the fu**ing bag they came in and go back to the mall which is about a 12 mile trip for me one way. I tell them I need to exchange them, they pull out the shoe and because it has been "worn" with a very light layer of dust that you could wipe off with an alcohol rag they can't resell them. Now I could understand if they were caked in mud or had holes tore in them or something but they still look brand new except for a little dirt on the bottom. So now unless I can find a person that wears a size 9 and just happens to need or want a new pair of shoes I'm out sixty dollars. Anyway just out of curiosity and a need to vent I decided to come here and ask you good people your opinion. Who was in the right? Me or the evil shoe store?
Whether or not they can resell them is irrelevant. They made the error in the first place by giving you a mislabeled box. They should make up for their mistake even if they have to throw out the shoes.

Whether or not they can resell them is irrelevant. They made the error in the first place by giving you a mislabeled box. They should make up for their mistake even if they have to throw out the shoes.
Agreed! They should give him a size 9 box to go with the shoes.

I'm sorry, but it took your friend all day long to figure out they were the wrong size??

I agree with tirediron. Regardless of whether or not the shoes were worn, they should refund your money. I would call and ask when they expect a manager to be in and go back in person and firmly and politely insist on a full refund. I would not argue about the shoes being just a little dirty or barely worn or whatever. If they bring that up just redirect them to the argument that they were mislabeled and this was not your error. If the manager refuses, ask for the contact information for the District Manager and the Corporate VP in charge of customer relations (assuming this is a big chain). Contact them directly and ask for their help.

I'd call and check with the manager. If the manager is still unavailable I'd:

Contact via email -

If the shoe store is a chain, go to corporate and voice register your complaint, especially the lack of manager.

If the store is privately owned, contact the owner and register the complaint, especially the lack of a manager.

If no agreement to correct the situation ... start blasting them on social media and the internet.

Is this still going on? Good grief! I find that once again I am odd man out on an issue. I don't think the shoe store "is right", but I do sympathize with the store in this case.

Regardless of the actual experience of our member, the circumstances are very odd, and I think the store personnel smell some kind of scam going on.

Could be that the store has been scammed before, and now they're just a little more cautious when dealing with very odd circumstances.

As I wrote earlier, I would not have done that kind of thing in the first place, and for people who do, maybe it's time you learned a lesson.

[Flame-resistant suit on.]

In this case I personally believe the fault does not fall on the store. Clothes are hung on hangers that say the wrong size, items are placed on the wrong shelves... these are common occurrences, shoppers have to take some responsibility here. If it was a sealed box, I would certainly agree he didn't get what he paid for and it was mislabeled, but considering he even mentioned checking for two shoes, he was aware of the risk.

However, since it's not a clear black and white case, if he still feels the need to fight for a refund, the quickest way to get a resolution is social media. Go to their FB page, post your experience and outrage.. people tend to jump on the consumers side, so others will back you up... someone from their marketing will contact you Publicly to ensure they will do what is necessary for you to become a happy customer.

Due to the lack of information, I'm not voting.

As often happens, we are getting one side of the story. We don't know the actual return policy (only the OP's interpretation) nor do we don't know if the store is a self-service type where any customer can remove shoes from, and replace back into the (wrong) boxes; we seem to be assuming the shoe store/company mislabeled the box.

My thought is if the OP feels he was wronged by the company and can't get satisfaction, then he can look into whatever "small claims" court is available to him. Lessons (hopefully) learned.: read labels before you buy, and have friend read labels and check fit at the beginning of the day, not the end.

Now excuse me, as I am late for another cup of coffee.

I'm sorry, but it took your friend all day long to figure out they were the wrong size??

this.

When I shop for shoes online, I often buy 3 pairs of the same shoe, in 1/2 sizes -/+ over what I normally wear -- you know, so i dont try to shove my fat foot into a shoe too small, and then wear it all day long in pain and violating the return policy so I can ***** about it later...

I also order more than one pair to try out :

XN1YLhrTx3usse_6pjhw98YrgSKwSFjQE48n5VII3IRupadX9FwZNHbyojyEUroxnpKt3_k6XGAxDfRaHOvQNk2bBuslNjJeYmEGsbxyPtqWj6OpDPmh7cezR8CFbvC4Cc-aNxL_uZtHZT3h9kAmQ9jB4iLQAEX442BwD0tq0LOQWO86KaZyrN0ATwulK1X4M5-KeVipJjSVHv5RAGJpOFxNx1xTj0NWiwf4vecmNVIyFnO6yKqTVm76toiRkmSu5xApMU0iEdBWfJI84GjJ0Yxc68vBxS47G3c63RKWXfkNJSU6jngwpY6-3L20L7wSrJVQh_WCTSPc-XMfrjMNo24tGj51LNTTWA022gONVu-PR20X4O8LtvoKjai1hJBZcqy1Q6wtOngyB9A1ewkXMmpPidgtNnSSmPRWmME_V1dqRvQN1bXRqGNRsVNPP2Xlqvpl1_Qrg5ffO2RFJU-PWZEBGHGh98W2--NPPVziH0sr8N8_XPdxY4t4B2zfxcR4vCYzIkFP4lhqOtGX5Qu3-POw_7F0BkAHttftLOW4WgMyiEz_02oflrVJLdqnT1mt0PXokaGj4tVqsAdU6KC2VHYpUBJihP9eT4b9HxVv0VlDaqpuT1kAoQ=w520-h924-no

got love free shipping and returns...

In this case I personally believe the fault does not fall on the store.

.. if he still feels the need to fight for a refund, the quickest way to get a resolution is social media.
Even though you believe the store is not at fault, you would still force them to give you money? Even undeservedly so, as you admit?

What if some entity was actually wrong?

Would you then advocate killing somebody?

Most reactions

Back