My best dragon yet?

lextalionis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.motleypixel.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I couldn't refrain from going to Zilker Botanical Gardens again at lunch today.

Using my new DIY Ring-Flash detailed here: http://www.motleypixel.com/forum/index.php/topic,80.0.html

Captured with my Canon EOS 30D, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, Canon Speedlite 580EX I, and DIY Ring-Flash.

I added another layer of diffuser on the lower half of the ring as I found there was too much light coming from the lower portion of the ring, thus causing unnatural light from under the subjects.

#1, what kind of dragon is this one?
zilker_ringflash_01.jpg

zilker_ringflash_02.jpg

zilker_ringflash_03.jpg

zilker_ringflash_04.jpg

-Roy

2 things
1) those are very very imprssive macro shots - be proud! :)

2) that flower - its hard to go wrong with that flower!

You have wonderful background and pinsharp details on the bugs - though I would try boosting your aperture up to f13 to try and get as much of the bug in focus as you can.
very good work - hope to see more and well done with the custom flash

If you find yourself ever with a resting bug - or one that is simply not moving you could also try photostacking as well -
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127146
some basic info on my own experiment in this - more tricky with bugs, but early morning is a good time to try as they are often still warming up then.

With macro insect photos like these, all I can ever pour out is praise, for I am in awe over these (and those of other members who dedicate a lot of time to insect and bug photography).

But that flower is also quite, quite impressive. It looks like it's got a light within :shock: - what an effect you got here!

Very unusual lighting! Playing with your new ring-flash? It did strange and wonderful things to that flower!

Good work! Looks like fun!

Great set :thumbup:
Looks like that light is working for you :)
When i saw the thread in which you show the DIY ringlight, i thought it was rather big. Doesnt it make it difficult to come near the bugs?

Everyone, thanks for all the comments. I'm convinced that this is one of the first DIY items I've made that is going to actually be used. I took some "beauty dish" shots of the wife last night and it works well for that function too.

Expect more shots to come. I'm really looking forward to the butterfly migration to pass through my area in the next few months.

-Roy

Very impressive! That flower shot is extremely good!

Derrick

I will be getting my Canon 100mm macro monday and you have inspired me!

Nice shots!!

I think I might have to try my hand at building that ring light!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back