My Best Portrait Yet? C&C

JackRabbit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Had Trina and Jamie over the other day to do a shoot.

Strobist Info:
Vivitar 283 subject left, pointed away from the subject and bounced off of a reflector. Canon 430EZ on camera bounced off ceiling.

Also, what is the backdrop choice of the pros for just a flat, solid white/black? Do they use canvas? Or Vinyl? Or Muslin? Fill me in here and help me get my home studio started ahaha.

Also, add my Flickr because I am always looking for new sources of critiques and inspiration. Flickr: jackstrutz's Photostream

4281973045_e793f200c5_b.jpg

Last edited:
I did a skin retouch to see how it would look for you. Her skin looks a little rough in areas. Also, the nose shadow is a little harsh. Good job though.
redo-1.jpg

I think the lighting and sharpness are perfect, but her expression looks a bit flat, and the white stockings on the white background look a bit strange, kind of like her body is just floating. Over all, it's a very nice shot though.

Can anyone answer my question about the backdrop?

I use Amazon.com: Savage Seamless Background Paper, 53" wide x 12 yards, Super White, #1: Electronics

and Amazon.com: Savage Seamless Background Paper, 53" wide x 12 yards, Super Black, #20: Camera & Photo

The white is automatically gray unless you light it. So in a sense, you have 2 colors in one.

The black one I love, it gives a great color when you feather a softbox on it.

There's no reason to get the same ones unless you do full body shots, (like I do) Because these rolls are huge and you need a decent amount of space to set up. But if you're looking to set something up that's simple, search for a DIY backdrop with PVC Pipe and some cheap muslim.

White is my main color I use. I do a lot of combining, and white will almost always be the easiest color to pull someone from.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Depends on the situation. If they have dark hair and you are going to use a silhouette for anything then use white.

Family portraits, and professional portraits usually have a muslin backdrop.

Black backdrops work well for dramatic lighting.

Just poke around the web to get more ideas. There is no, one backdrop of choice.

Yeah, I was hoping to do something a bit more sturdy than paper because my "studio" is in my bonus room which has carpeted floors so paper wouldn't really be the best option for me.

think a lot use the big rolls of paper

why not use an umbrella instead of bouncing the light?

because umbrellas cost money ahaha. I'm a Junior in high school. Money isn't necessarily abundant. Resourcefulness is though. And, as I said, paper isn't necessarily my best option as my "studio" is in a room with carpet so paper would wrinkle and tear.

because umbrellas cost money ahaha. I'm a Junior in high school. Money isn't necessarily abundant. Resourcefulness is though. And, as I said, paper isn't necessarily my best option as my "studio" is in a room with carpet so paper would wrinkle and tear.

Have you checked ebay lately. You can grab a couple 33" umbrellas for 5-7 each and holders for 5-7 each. You could do two stands, holders, umbrellas for like 30. Its not that much really.

hmmmm I'll have to check that out. I have to buy some triggers first though so once I've got those then umbrellas or DIY softboxes will be the next item on that list.

You can buy a wireless trigger set with 1 transmitter and 3 triggers for like 50 on ebay. I have them. They work just as good as others ones I have used that cost $200 a piece.

On backdrop if money is issue You can use photoshop to create your own Muslin backdrop or use "backdrop designer" from digital anarchy to create your own back drop.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back