sm4him

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
sm4him.500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have barely picked my camera up in the last month. Longer, really--Memorial Day was the last time I really had a long session with the camera. I've had one small outing, which was in early June I think, that netted no birds anyway, and only lasted an hour before I got called back.
Issues with my mom have just priority lately--but I do really miss photography. I'd just gotten into really doing some experimenting with portrait work and I miss that.

But I especially have missed my birds. Not only have I not gotten time to photograph them, I've not even had time to watch them much. In fact, I was a little concerned that I might not have many backyard birds left, because I haven't even been good about keeping their feeders filled.

A few days ago, I cleaned and filled all the feeders again, even the hummingbird feeders, though I suspected the window for attracting hummers was long since gone.

Today, I'd gotten home from buying some stuff to go have a small July 4 celebration with Mom. I was going to go ahead and cut the watermelon into pieces out in the backyard, then put it in a bag to take to the rehab facility. I'm about to get out of my car, when I see it, out of the corner of my eye--a Hummer!!

I have two of them actually, a male and a female.
I ended up spending almost two hours sitting in my car, watching the birdies and taking pictures. It was a delightful way to spend part of my holiday--but man, are my skills ever rusty!!

1. Hummer. As I said, I also have a male--but I could not manage an in-focus shot of him to save my life!! Even when he was actually perched at the feeder, inevitably I manage to grab focus on the feeder instead of the bird.
hummer_5200web.jpg

2. Jay in the rain. Oh, yeah, part of the reason I was in my car the whole two hours is because of the rain. It'd stop for a few minutes, then sprinkle, then pour, then stop again. Rinse and repeat.
Jay_5183web.jpg

3. Look out behind you!!
RHwoodpecker_jay_5229web.jpg

4. Immature Thrasher Hiding in the Bushes
BrownThrasher_5214web.jpg

And one from the earlier outing in June. No birds that time, but I did get a few frogs.
GreenFrog_5038_lowres.jpg

Hope it's not another month before I get to do some more.
As always, C&C, general comments and witty banter are all appreciated here!

Oh yes sure you are.I looked thinking Oh boy maybe I can catch up now so I can look a little better and darn, they are just as good as I remember.LOL That hummer and Bluejay are beautiful and I don't see any rust parts. So I disagree with you but I won't give you that big ugly RED X,I hate that button.

I wish I was a smarty pants,I would hack TPF and clone out that button HaHa.

Those are some terrific shots. Love the soggy Blue jay.

Oh yes sure you are.I looked thinking Oh boy maybe I can catch up now so I can look a little better and darn, they are just as good as I remember.LOL That hummer and Bluejay are beautiful and I don't see any rust parts. So I disagree with you but I won't give you that big ugly RED X,I hate that button.

I wish I was a smarty pants,I would hack TPF and clone out that button HaHa.

Ha, thanks David, but it's what you DON'T see that proves how rusty I am. Notice how there are only a few pictures here, for two hours of shooting? The keeper rate was NOT good.
And that male hummer, man that thing just beat me nine ways to Sunday. EVERY time it showed up, I'd lock focus, snap away, think "There, I think I got it that time!" and then look at the photos--good crisp images of a hummer feeder with a fuzzy male hummer in the background. It was comical really--the female would show up, buzzing around the feeder and I'd get focus and get some decent shots. The male would perch right on the feeder, and I got nothing. I think it had a "focus force shield" around it, preventing the camera from locking on. :biglaugh:

Well Sharon, I shoot hummers almost daily and the keeper rate is always pretty sad. They are just to erratic and unpredictable. of these I like #3 and the frog...For no reason other than I like them.

So this is "rusty" eh??? Color me skeptical ;) Great shots, all of them, darlin!

I love that #3 Sharon, and there's nothing rusty about these. Are these with your D800?

Rusty - yeah right! :biglaugh: If you are getting rusty, then who took these great shots? :biggrin-93:

All kidding aside, I have missed your birds on the forum - that first one is great - would be a wall hanger if it was mine.

WesternGuy

Thanks, all. I guess it's like riding a bike...although, I'd probably be a bit rusty at that these days, too! :lol:
I just definitely FELT like my skills were not quite as honed as they were before, I missed some great "that was the moment" shots. Actually, I've probably just forgotten how very many of those moments I missed even when I was shooting a lot more often!

I love that #3 Sharon, and there's nothing rusty about these. Are these with your D800?
Thanks, Raj! Yeah, the D800. It's such a sweet camera; I love shooting with it!

Had so much fun yesterday, I managed to find a little more time today to sit out and try again. A tiny bit more sun today, but still mixed with long periods of clouds and rain.

I got some good shots, I think, but have only processed one so far--FINALLY got an in-focus shot of the elusive male RTH. Perched at the feeder, and with no sun to illuminate that beautiful ruby throat, but I'll take what I can get!

RTHummer_5488web.jpg

Nice set Sharon. im hopful that if i keep shooting i wil become RUSTY !!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back