My brand new wedding/portraiture site...

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by jamie_, Nov 5, 2006.

1. jamie_

jamie_ TPF Noob!

Hi everyone,

Thought I'd post this here as well...

I've finally got round to establishing myself on the www! I must say that I'm really pleased with the site, but do any of you have any comments for it's improvement?

www.jamiealexanderphotography.com

Cheers,

Jamie

2. AprilRamone

AprilRamone TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    From what I could see it looks like you have some good stuff in there. I liked that it was easy to find what I was looking for. The images seemed to take a long time to load for me (and I have high speed internet) but maybe it's just my computer.
    I'm curious about your wedding pricing. Your scheduling says that you'll start at a certain point and then end when the meal is served or after the speeches etc... At all of the weddings I've been to, they do all of these different things at different points during the reception. How do you reconcile with that? Do you make your clients have a timeline of when they will be doing the different traditions at the reception? What if things get moved around?
    Sorry, I've just never seen it done like that so I'm curious:)
    -April

3. jamie_

jamie_ TPF Noob!

The pricing of my weddings was something that had a lot of thought go into it. Every wedding I have ever attended, be it as a guest or a photographer, has a consistent order of; service, photocall/reception, sit down meal, speeches, evening reception - welcoming the guests, first dance, party (I appreciate that this is not always the case). To answer your question, no I don't make them work to a specific timeline, hence why bespoke packages are available, but this is a format we are accustomed to in the UK and I agree the details with the clients at the outset. I had considered putting a timeframe on it, i.e. 4 hours for the bronze package, do you think this would be a better approach?

Thanks for your comment.

Jamie

4. AprilRamone

AprilRamone TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't know. I guess I haven't been to that many weddings. Less than 8 in my whole life probably. But, at every one that I've been to recently they've done everything in a different order so that's why I was curious about it. One wedding they did the cake right away, at another that was one of the last things. Some weddings there isn't any one to guide them so it was just whatever the aunt thought should come next. I like that with your way they will know that they will definitely get the speeches and whatnot, but what if they decide to hold off on them until they've done more things so they can get the most for their $? Maybe that would never happen, but you never know right?

The way I've gone is to not worry about the amount of hours I'm there. And do my range of pricing based on other things.

5. jamie_

jamie_ TPF Noob!

I'm keen to differentiate my packages on the level of coverage the couple will receive. I tend to edit all images I take and make them all available to the couple on a disc. At the moment I'm not too fussed about trying to make a killing on the re-orders and find that with the reportage approach I adopt there is a lot of good stuff that is not necessarily appropriate for the album. By making it all available, the couple can develop anything they want and send images to guests in their thank you cards.

Since I'm very snap happy and choose to edit everything, the level of coverage determines how much post production I'm going to have and therefore I feel that my remuneration should be on that basis.
    At the initial meeting with a client, I will sit down and agree what the order of the day is and whether my package/pricing needs to be tailored for them.

All that said, I completely understand the point you are making and I will consider whether it is worth putting a caveat in the pricing (to prevent the point about getting more for their $ that you make). Thanks for your thoughts again.

Cheers,

Jamie

6. bowronfam3

bowronfam3 TPF Noob!

I absolutely LOVE your site! I have to ask you...as i've been working on my site for over 6 months now...how did you do that??? LOL! What did you use for the website photo viewer thing? :hail:

7. jemmy

jemmy TPF Noob!

HI Jamie, Was very excited to check out your website... but my ancient computer would not let me see it!!! ??? I'm thinking it is because it uses flash?? From what i've heard, not all computers can 'read' flash which is why i decided against it for my site. Strange though, because I have viewed flash on here before??? Not too sure??? but I have no doubt the site is great and will try again later x jem x

8. jamie_

jamie_ TPF Noob!

Hi Jemmy, yes it does use flash and this is the likely problem (so sorry!).

Jamie

9. skyonfire

skyonfire TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I love it.. I am in the process of designing my website.. and I love the simplicity of yours. I will definately use it for inspiration!

10. ravikiran

ravikiran TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hai Jamie,
    Good concept website. But the page size is barely sufficient even for an 15 inch monitor. Please do increase the page size. And also as complained the images load too slow, maybe because you have timed them in Flash. It may lead to loose interest to the viewers.