My Brother Leaving for Bootcamp

mello_yello_16

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My brother was leaving for bootcamp. Comments?

leavingforbootcamp022.jpg

You definitely caught the moment. You used a nice wide aperture to focus on the two of you. On the critical side, I don't see why you chose ISO 400 (rather than a lower ISO number), and also it looks like you didn't use any fill flash to lighten up the shadows in front of the subjects. That's about all I can think of. :thumbup:

Thanks for your input. All I have right now is the basic Canon Digital Rebel with the standard lens that it comes with. I'm still learning the ropes. What exactly do you mean by fill flash?

You can photograph just about anything with the kit lens. It may not be the sharpest lens out there, but you can still work with it to get very good photos. Fill flash is using the flash to fill shadows on your main subject (ideally while exposing for the rest of the scene as well lol). Your eyes may not be trained yet to notice the shadows (I had to look twice to notice) but, once you see enough professional photos you will have a better idea of what the lighting should look like. I'm not sure how the flash settings work on Canons, but on my Nikon I find setting the flash compensation to -.7 is good for most close-up shots and helps you avoid a lot of that nasty direct flash (as in aimed straight ahead at the subject) effect.

Last edited:
You may also want to try stopping the aperture down to something like f/7 or f/8 to help with the sharpness. At 55mm this should still keep the background blurred enough to not distract from the subject the way you have things setup (subject not far from camera and background several yards away), though I'd have to try out the different apertures to see how things come out.

potownrob said:
You can photograph just about anything with the kit lens. It may not be the sharpest lens out there, but you can still work with it to get very good photos. Fill flash is using the flash to fill shadows on your main subject (ideally while exposing for the rest of the scene as well lol). Your eyes may not be trained yet to notice the shadows (I had to look twice to notice) but, once you see enough professional photos you will have a better idea of what the lighting should look like. I'm not sure how the flash settings work on Canons, but on my Nikon I find setting the flash compensation to -.7 is good for most close-up shots and helps you avoid a lot of that nasty direct flash (as in aimed straight ahead at the subject) effect.

Thanks for all your help! :thumbup:

So, which service is he joining? I'm partial to the Marine Corps since I wear the uniform ;-)

Cheers,
Majdi

----------
D300 / D70
Nikon 17-55 2.8
Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR

The Marines. :)

Tell your brother Thank You for his service. I myself prefer the Army, but thats where I choose to serve. But my daughter and neice are in the Navy while my other 2 neices are in the Army and Airforce. Boy do I have a hard time cheering for a team on game days. LOL

I like the exposure, but it lacks sharpness. Tell your bro I wish him luck, and I'm sure his girl will be there when he gets back.

Thanks for all your help! :thumbup:

The Marines. :)

Tell him I said SEMPER FI! I was on the "yellow footprints" in Parris Island, SC back in '94 and again at OCS in Quantico in '01. It will be an amazing adventure and I'm certain he will return from boot camp a changed person (with a haircut and fresh shave) ;-) Make sure to send him letters and care packages regularly...it will will make a huge impact to keep his spirits high.

Cheers,
Majdi

----------
D300 / D70
Nikon 17-55 2.8
Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR

It's not sharp at all. It looks like they arent even in focus. Try refocusing, and getting a tighter crop. Very sweet capture though, good luck to him!

Most reactions

Back