My camera smells funny!

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Belle26, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Belle26

Belle26 TPF Noob!

In April my husband and I went to Punta Cana D.R. We had a wonderful trip, but the rooms were really damp and musty. When we returned home all our clothes (even the unworn ones), suitcases, everything that was in the room had this awful musty smell, including my camera (Minolta Maxxum 5). A few times I stored the camera in our room safe, which also smelled musty. Do you think this has harmed the camera? It still has this smell.

2. mrsid99

mrsid99 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Try using the camera and see if it's OK, unless the smell is so bad you can't get close to it maybe? :wink:

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have heard of mold getting into lenses and even cameras if left in the wrong conditions. I wouldn't think that a few days or a week would be long enough to ruin a camera but who knows what was floating around.

I'd suggest that you clean the camera as best you can with out damaging anything. Keep it open and let it air out for a while.

I alway keep some little pouches of silica gel in my camera bag to absorb moisture. Maybe this might have helped, maybe not.