my camera

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by laurafern11, Oct 12, 2006.

1. laurafern11

laurafern11 TPF Noob!

Hi all,

I bought a film SLR camera after I graduated college about three years ago. I am something of a traveler and enjoy photography, but there are a lot of things I don't know about the more technical aspects of taking good pictures.

I recently took a continuing ed photography class and have been thinking about buying some kind of additional lens for the camera. First of all, the camera is a Minolta Maxxim 5 and from a little internet research I have done, it looks like Sony bought Minolta SLR cameras?

So I guess I need to know what brand of lenses I can use for this camera as well as what you experienced people would suggest for someone who wants to buy their first additional lens. I want to be able to zoom in closer on people and objects from farther away. As you can probably tell, I'm an amateur, but I want to have a little more versatility, which is why I am thinking about getting another lens.

If anyone has advice about this camera, lenses or anything else, please pass it on. Thanks so much!

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

Sony did purchase the camera division of Konica-Minolta. However, Minolta has been making cameras for some time...and there should be plenty of lenses available for your camera.

I don't know much about Minolta, I'm more of a Canon guy...but here's my 2 cents anyway.

What lens do you have now? You said you wanted more reach, so that would suggest that you want a telephoto lens. What is your budget? Lenses can easily cost thousands of dollars if you want t really good one. Typically you get what you pay for...so you don't want to go too cheap either.

Most companies have something in the 70 to 300mm range. Typically these are not top of the line...but they are more affordable.

3. bitteraspects

bitteraspects TPF Noob!

id suggest something more on the lines of a 70-200mm

like a mt 70-210mm APO

4. laurafern11

laurafern11 TPF Noob!

I'm not sure why my budget is yet. Not $1000, but I want something I will have for a long time too. I was just reading some posts about purchasing on ebay. Any thoughts on buying used?

Thanks for your comments though. I know it's really basic, but can you recommend me some specific brands and explain the differences. Right now I just have the lens that came with the camera, it says AF 28-80 on it.

5. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Buying used:

If you wish to have some sort of guarantee of condition, purchase from an established firm such as B&H, Adorama, KEH, etc. Their quality grades are explicit and accurate.

On the other hand, if you've an adventurous streak, ebay awaits. As a personal observation, I've made many purchases through ebay, including from overseas [GB, Russia, Ukraine, Hawaii] and only once found the item's condition to be questionable. I do check the seller's track record.

As the old saw goes, 'you pays your money and you takes your choice.'