My career is leading me into photography

andrewdoeshair

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi! I'll try to keep this thing brief and get right to the point. I tend to ramble...

I've been cutting hair for almost 12 years and after my iPhone photos of hairstyles earned a large Instagram following I started finding needs for higher resolution photos of my work (like magazines or web sites wanting to post pictures of my work with a brief interview about social media, or to enter certain hair competitions via photographs). After I had hired a photographer on a few separate occasions for this type of thing, I realized that I may benefit from being able to take my own photos at times, so I bought a Canon T5 with a kit lens from Best Buy and reluctantly learned how to use it. I still hire a photographer for anything important, but as soon as I purchased that entry level DSLR I started slowly upgrading my kit. I also started paying more attention to any information I could get about photography (I've been very fortunate to style hair for some well known models on pretty epic shoots. Now when I do that I buzz around the photographer and ask all the questions. Unless he's shooting Nikon, then I'm just lost). Today, about three years after buying that T5, I'm using a 5Diii with way too many lenses (I'm admittedly a gear junkie) and am more often directing shoots than just working on the hair. In an effort to stay innovative and competitive with my content I've been trying to avoid the standardized Instagram layout, the "head in a barber shop with way too much bokeh" look, and instead I've been messing with speedlites to black out the salon, or even taking my client down the street to a hiking trail to get more interesting backgrounds.

What I hope to gain from this forum is inspiration and information to help me tell stories about my clients. I'm uninspired by pictures that say "look how good this haircut is" and I want to create more images that say more specific things (like, maybe "I don't need to style my hair to look good, because it was cut well" or "this motorcycle helmet only made my hair look better when I mashed it under there.") I don't know what I can contribute to the forum, I'm by no means a great photographer, but I can say that there are a lot of parallels between my line of work and photography, so I hope I can offer anything of value. Thanks for reading. I'm going to go read all over this place now. instagram.com/andrewdoeshair

Attached is a picture of a recent client I forced to model for me :)

Attachments

• 3G7A5969.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 146
Nice shot. Welcome to the forum. With the right attitude, you can learn a ton here.

Welcome! I like the shot you posted.

I think Manaheim put it best - with the right attitude, you can learn a ton here. People will critique your shots (constructively) to no end but if you take what they said to heart and apply it to future shots, you will continue to become a better photographer everyday.

I hope to see you and your work around. :)

Most reactions

Back