My Cerebrum needs some heroin...

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by burnws6, Jan 28, 2010.

1. burnws6

burnws6 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm doing a cliche engagement photo shoot at the beach tomorrow. (contrary to my suggestions of finding a more interesting place, the customer is right mindset outweighs the urge of my persuasion, but I digress....)

Even though we're going to the beach, I want to come up with something that will still make it stand out from all standard pictures. I don't want to expose the sunset and light them...because to me, that's been overdone.

I want something dramatic, something that when they look they'll go..."wow"

I used to be able to easily come up with such ideas, but lately it's been f/11 and my lights at 1/4. Shoot, shoot, shoot.

Please, anyone,.... give me some ideas to stop from committing creative suicide.

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Well, the customer is always right, right?
    WHile it's true that sunset photos + fill light have been done a lot, for these customers this will probably be THEIR first engagement photoshoot,and this will be THEIR first time at this, so even though it is a bit shopworn for photographers, for your customers, the photos might well engender a, "Wow!" response.

If you want to have fun with it, here's an idea I just thought of. Shoot it normally, but before you lose the light, have a small wheelbarrow full of water balloons,and have them engage in a water balloon fight. In their good clothes. I've never seen this done before. Might be fun.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Push them into the water and start shooting.
    Extra points if the water is freezing cold.

4. burnws6

burnws6 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like that idea. Of course I'll take my safe shots first, and all the look at the birdie and smile bs. I was referring once I got that out of the way. Sorry I forgot to clear that up.

Lol, Didn't know you had a sense of humor. But sorry, it's Southwest Florida...so freezing for us is luke warm.

5. burnws6

burnws6 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Come on people! Not much time left before I slit my wrist....

6. Serve the customer. Then draw mustaches on them in Photoshop after the shoot to get the aggro out.

I know it's too short-notice, but drill down on the next client and find out more about their hobbies and lives, to try and include that in the shot. Having said that, there are a surprising number of people who have no interests whatsoever, and shooting them in front of their TV watching reality shows is not how they want to perceive themselves.

Can you mock up a Ball and Chain with paper maché by tomorrow?

7. jackieclayton

jackieclayton TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thats a good idea Derrel... and you're SO right in your first paragraph... to them it will be a "wow" response. Just like with maternity photoshoots... they are so cliche with the heart on your tummy and baby blocks that spell the name... to that mom its something new where to a photographer it's blah...

as long as the customer's happy...

is it too cold where you're at to get some shots in the water? I saw a blog once of a "trash the dress" shoot and he got shots of the couple in the ocean... it was really modern looking, i loved it! lemmie see if i can find it... it was definitely unique...

8. jackieclayton

jackieclayton TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    this isn't exactly what i was referring to but the first page has something similiar... theres a couple in the water (says Choco Photo on them). maybe not as sensual as what this guy did, since this is engagement... but that kinda style maybe?

i dunno, it just came to mind... maybe it will spark some ideas... Trash The Dress

9. Trash the Dress is awesome, my wife and I are saving it up for the 10th Anniversary party (next year).

10. RauschPhotography

RauschPhotography TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Often times the best ideas I've had have come from when I'm not even thinking. Good luck!

11. jackieclayton

jackieclayton TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    sounds fun!! I agree, I love the idea of it... you're never gonna use the dress again so why not get some really neat pictures out of it! i like looking on that site, some of the shots are pretty creative.

ihope i'm around on the forum to see your pics, I'd love to do mine... i doubt I can squeeze back into my dress though... lol! congrats on the 10th year coming up!