My conclusion on dSLR cameras

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by jophassa, Mar 22, 2008.

1. jophassa

jophassa TPF Noob!

OK, ever since my interest in photography began a few years back I have used portable cameras, namely the Casio EX Z850 and my, dare I say it, my phone's 5MP camera. I have also briefly used what is known as a bridge camera (i think) which has a fixed 'mega' zoom lens and has a slightly larger CCD (i think)...my favourite being the Casio. Then last month I took the plunge and bought my first dSLR (a Canon 350d) and a nice £250 lens...but I can't tell you how underwhelmed I am by its performance. I know that it's not a professional SLR, but I have to say that it's photo quality is no better than my Casio's and its size is just really inconvenient - as is the need for multiple lens. I have 'reverted' to using my Casio yet again and have taken many pics I would never have taken with my Canon 350d partly due to its size...has anyone else decided that the benefits of dSLR performance are just not worth the price/hassle (especially when the Casio is loaded with manual features)?

2. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I shoot Nikon so I can't address your issue with Canon. However, I suspect that a lot has to do with the type of pictures that interest you (snapshots) and very possibly an SLR is inappropriate for you.

3. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The Rebel is the smallest DSLR you can get and you still think it's too big?!

Well, you just learned that equipment doesn't make photographers, which is good that you know that now.

The only reason that you think the casio's images look pretty much the same is because (and this might be a stretch) you're shooting JPEG and doing little or no post production at all.

You don't buy a DSLR and not do post production. Unless you need to shoot JPEG and get the images in and out as fast as possible, you do PP. Otherwise it defeats one of the main purposes of using one to begin with.

4. Emerana

Emerana TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think its the shooter, not the camera

5. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, maybe you don't but I do.
    I do my best to avoid mistakes that result in a need for PP.

Gee, why did photographers ever buy SLRs that used film?

6. eterrisinCYQX

eterrisinCYQX TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    +100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.

7. Arch

Arch Damn You! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not all PP is because mistakes have been made.
    For many people (including myself) a RAW file is a digital negative. Therefore i want to take it to photoshop and develop it. If PP was all about mistakes then that would mean that film darkroom processing is all about 'fixing mistakes' which we all know its not. ;)

8. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's your preference but there's absolutely no need for it. The vast majority of 35mm SLR photographers did not do their own darkroom work for pretty much the same reason. Yes, some photographers did dodging, burning, air-brushing, etc. but that's all related to fixing mistakes and/or making the photograph less than real.

Don't get me wrong. I've seen some beautiful photos that have been processed by PS but that's not the norm and it's by no means the primary reason why persons buy SLRs. Heck, if RAW is the important aspect of photography, why not save a buck and buy a $200 P&S that produces RAW?

9. Arch

Arch Damn You! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    well i wouldn't say RAW solves everything thats too far... and of course nor digital for that matter... but well, we will have to agree to completely disagree about processing. To me the art of processing an image can be just as important as taking one... it certainly doesn't only exist because of mistakes made while shooting.

10. photogincollege

photogincollege TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have to agree that it's probably that the casio processes the images more then the 350d in jpeg. Did you look at your settings and if you want turn up sharpening and saturation if thats what your looking for? Also as to the size problem, did you take that into consideration before buying the camera? I don't mean to sound rude by that, but dslr camera's are big, and if you knew this before buying, and didnt want one that big, why did you buy it?

11. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    just to end this silly postprocessing debate:

There are no unprocessed images. neither digital, nor film.

p&s and bridge cameras just do a lot of automatic processing, which is left to the photographer when he shoots with a dSLR. often this automatic processing spoils the images though, since it is targeted at standard blue sky and snapshot photography. Often when you try to be a bit more creative, then the auto processing goes the wrong way.

Images from a dSLR are much less processed, hence they need more processing after the image is taken. As a rule of thumb, the more expensive your dSLR is, the worse (soft, low contrast, and all) your images straight from the camera appear at first sight, but the more you can do with them and the more versatile they are. If you do not use this potential, however, then your images in many situations will look poor compared to p&s images.

12. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Good for you.

Where did I say anything about film?