My D300

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by iflynething, Jan 17, 2009.

1. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I was able to use a D300 for a dance compeitioin and upon giving it back to it's owner, I said I was going to get one.

My birthday was yesterday...Jan 16th. As a present to myself, I picked up a D300 body for $1,250. The camera only has 1,850 exposures. I haven't checked a exposure counter to see the actual number of clicks. The guy was even nice enough to give a 2BG card to me to use since I have been using SD for my D80. I was back a forth on selling my D80 or just keeping it to have a backkup body past the 300. I still have it.

First thing I notice is the speed of the 300 and great high ISO. Even at 1600, I was shooting with a 50 1.8 and getting great shots. Color saturation doesn't really seem to go down "much" until after 1600 or so.

I will get a bigger chance to play with it tomorrow but am liking what I have so far. I won't be using it heavily until dance season starts up in March again, but i couldn't pass up $1,250 and memory for a $1,800 body.

All I need now is another SB-800 to keep on top and a grip for the 300. I'll look a little bit more professional with the D80 and 300, flash bracket, and SB-800. I hope this camera will open up a whole new possibility for me.

I just wanted to share...

~Michael~

2. sxesweets

sxesweets TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Congrats, sounds like you got a great deal, Enjoy

3. freeflydive

freeflydive TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Congrats! I'm still waiting for the D300 I ordered for myself as a bday present (2 Jan) ;-) Figured I'd wish you a happy b-day since we share the same month!

Cheers,
    Majdi

4. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the replies. I'm having some issues viewing NEF files from the camera in Photoshop....thats for another thread though.

Happy Birthday to you too!

~Michael~

5. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Congrats.

I kept my D80 when I purchased the D300. It's still a damn good camera and I didn't feel the loss was worth the sale, then again, I wasn't put out for the money either. Everybody's situation is different though.

I found that Lightroom 2 is wonderfull for importing my NEF files. And that's only the beginning.

May I also suggest to get a copy of Thom Hogans Complete Guide for the D300.

By adding the grip..... well, I like it. I went with the AA batteries rather than the expense of a different battery, charger and .... something else to get the 8fps.

6. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well I have 4 EN-EL3e batteries already so I won't have a problem charging them and will use two in the grip. With the 300, I got the entire box contents and Capture NX and everything that would have been there new.

Its a great camera though and I am loving it

~Michael~

7. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The EN-EL3e batteries in the grip will not yield 8fps, if that matters to you.

8. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hmm.....I forgot about that.

I think I could deal with the 7 that I am getting now. AA's will give 8?

~Michael~

9. Ejazzle

Ejazzle TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You cant put two En el3e's in the grip. And you only get six without the En-El4a. they Say AA's will give you eight but it didnt seem like i was getting 8 until i got the En-EL4a in there. Plus AA's die down and wont give you the 8fps when they are low. Where as the 4a will always give you 8fps. I got the setup you want Last year for my bday / christmas.

Happy belated Birthday! Mine was the 17th. Im getting a Nikon 105 macro and treating myself to the 10.5 fishy
    :)

And try and stay away from iso 1600. It gets really noisy sometimes, so noisy that i have to slap it and put duck tape over its mouth.

10. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I"m going to have to deal with the 7fps becuase I"m not going to use the AA's

Michael

11. andrew99

andrew99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Congrats! I got my D300 for my birthday back in October! Seems like a common justification to buy this camera! :)

I recently got the grip also, it's definitely an improvement. I didn't get it for the FPS (I am using 2 EN-EL3e's), I got it for the vertical grip (with the extra shutter release, AF-ON button and joystick pad thing), and also to add some weight, which I think helps with camera shake. It's expensive, but worth it for the features and also it looks like part of the camera (same rubber grip and materials).

Ejazzle - I'm jealous, the 10.5 fisheye is next on my list! Gotta pay off some credit cards first! :(

12. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would rather have the grip for the vertical release than for 8fps.

Give it a better feel and more weight like you pointed out too

~Michael~