My D3200 dropped and the viewfinder turned blurry

Bennno

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
so I have an d3200 and I dropped it and now the viewfinder is all blurry even in focus (including the green info bar) and the diopter won't help at all. should I try something before sending it to the shop?

Take off the lens, and look inside to see if the mirror is off track. When mine fell of the tripod this happened, I popped it back on track and all was well. Of course, if you still have a warranty that would cover falls then you might feel better having a pro do it.

I'm a beginner so i'm don't understand those things so much but I think the mirror is OK it lifts up nice and I forgot to mention that when I look in the viewfinder I see under the viewfinder screen two objects who looks like this / \

Last edited:
Is it "under the view finder" if so then it may be the reflection of the alignment lines in the sensor, sheesh I wish I could explain that better. Like on my camera, if I look in the view finder, and tilt it up but keep the same point of view, I can see the reflection of the sensor, if you aren't having to tilt the camera up to see this, it is because something is misaligned inside.

Is it "under the view finder" if so then it may be the reflection of the alignment lines in the sensor,.
those lines appear without tilting the camera, I guess its the time for repair (I hope the warranty is covering this)

Not to be taking advantage of the situtation, but I have a d3200 that is a couple of months old I am considering upgrading.

Just message me if they will not fix it. I will make you a good deal.

If you dropped the camera it's going to be obvious to anyone repairing it. Nikon won't fix it under warranty unless you purchased an extended warranty that explicitly covers drops.

The D3200 viewfinder is a pentamirror type viewfinder and one of the mirror sections may have come adrift.

The upper tier Nikon's have a pentaprism type viewfinder that is just a single piece of glass.

The OP's profile does not show a location.
As mentioned by SCraig, Nikon's USA warranty does not cover impact damaged caused by dropping your camera.
Here is Nikon USA's camera warranty:
https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/333/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzkyMzM4NDQ2L3NpZC9PeEI0RFNNbA%3D%3D

thanks for your comments though I hope it will not cost too much as it sounds pretty simple to move one the mirrors to track... thanks anyway

I'm a beginner so i'm don't understand those things so much but I think the mirror is OK it lifts up nice and I forgot to mention that when I look in the viewfinder I see under the viewfinder screen two objects who looks like this / \

I have exacly your problem. Even the "/ \" thing. How did you solve this? Did the warranty covered this?

Thk you

Sounds like the focusing screen may have been dislodged by the shock. It's mounted by a small wire frame that's not too sturdy. Go here and look up the instructions for mounting a focusing screen on your 3200. That may help you.

The thread is 10 months old.
The OP last logged in to the forums the day after this thread was started - 10 months ago.

I know it's old, but I need some help. Do you (Martin Crabtree), mean the wire that holds the blurry glass?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back