My daily rant....

burstintoflame81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I propose a new rule that hopefully everyone will follow. If someone posts links instead of pictures, NOONE gives C+C. The first person to notice the post can mention that the actual pictures should be posted instead of links and refer them to the "how to post a picture" page. That way someone new who accidentally made a mistake can learn and be forced to find the right way to post so that all subsequent postings aren't links. Any support? Anyone? lol

hmmm...I disagree. I've posted a link before for a set of over 50 pictures and asked for an overall opinion. It would've been very inconvenient for me to have all pictures in the post.

I know that you mean well and having the shot(s) posted directly to the forum is much easier for the viewer. To me if the op decides to post a link post a link...if he ops not too then don't bother and move along to the next thread.

There's also websites where shots are posted in flash and can not be directly posted to the forum.

Sometimes a link just works best depending on the scenario..

hmmm...I disagree. I've posted a link before for a set of over 50 pictures and asked for an overall opinion. It would've been very inconvenient for me to have all pictures in the post.

I know that you mean well and having the shot(s) posted directly to the forum is much easier for the viewer. To me if the op decides to post a link post a link...if he ops not too then don't bother and move along to the next thread.

There's also websites where shots are posted in flash and can not be directly posted to the forum.

Clearly there is an acception to every rule. If there is a legitimate reason given then thats understandable, so very valid point. Its when people give the "hi am new to the thread blah blah" and are told by 10 people to post the pics and not the links, and the people just disregard it because they have 10 other people who just give them what they want instead of trying to set people straight from the outset so that they can be a better part of this community we have here. I think by posting the pics instead of links you are making this forum safer for everyone on here. Noone wants a crashed comp because someone posts a malicious link.

But if there's exceptions, then it's not really a rule, imho.

Clearly there is an acception to every rule. If there is a legitimate reason given then thats understandable, so very valid point. Its when people give the "hi am new to the thread blah blah" and are told by 10 people to post the pics and not the links, and the people just disregard it because they have 10 other people who just give them what they want instead of trying to set people straight from the outset so that they can be a better part of this community we have here. I think by posting the pics instead of links you are making this forum safer for everyone on here. Noone wants a crashed comp because someone posts a malicious link.

Well good luck on enforcing that. What I've learned around here is that if the mods aren't up to sync with an issue, it isn't going to happen as links will be posted here as long as its aloud and people will be clicking on them as long as they're posted.

If links are completely banned then there goes links to websites, links to series with multi photos, links to other people's work. It isn't just pictures of CC, any link posted here can be an actual threat.

I think the big picture approach here is to have to common sense to not click on anybody's post with a link that you have no history with..unfortunatel for noone.

Believe me I know what your saying and like I said I know you mean well. If I were to lay out out the site, I would have a flag indicator which would escalate it to the mods if clicked(for bad links)...kinda like craigslist. Offcourse that may create a flame war as it may involve innocent parties...that's why it gets complicated.

I say move on to the next thread when in doubt...what else can we really do?

I am not saying a rule by the mods, to move the post. I am just merely looking for everyone to band together and maybe make an effort at not entertaining the people that do it. If noone reponds anymore after the OP is told to post the pictures, then most people would get the hint. I was just trying to rally the troops. Apparently noone gives a rats @ss. Oh well, what can you do.

Oh, and I definately am not saying to ban all links, its different when someone with less than 5 posts throws up a link and someone who is obviously a trusted participant. I am talking about the pure newbies. And nothing against them, we were all there once. I am just looking for more of a concentrated effort by people to not feed into it by rewarding the person with endless critiques.

I propose a new rule that hopefully everyone will follow. If someone posts links instead of pictures, NOONE gives C+C. The first person to notice the post can mention that the actual pictures should be posted instead of links and refer them to the "how to post a picture" page. That way someone new who accidentally made a mistake can learn and be forced to find the right way to post so that all subsequent postings aren't links. Any support? Anyone? lol

I dunno....your policy would be a severe hardship to the numerous,talented, and hard-working spammers who want to refer us to their links selling knock-off ladies purses, cheap Korean- and Chinese-made athletic apparel,and bogus clothing and jewelry, as well as impose a hardship on the fly by night electronics resellers and scam artists.

Your policy would also make it difficult for newbie posters who want to come here to solicit votes for their snapshot of their kid, their cat, their snake, their gerbil, or their school project. I'm not sure...I feel bad for these vote whores and spam kings...they need the right to make their way in the word too...

I follow it already. :salute:

I dunno....your policy would be a severe hardship to the numerous,talented, and hard-working spammers who want to refer us to their links selling knock-off ladies purses, cheap Korean- and Chinese-made athletic apparel,and bogus clothing and jewelry, as well as impose a hardship on the fly by night electronics resellers and scam artists.

Your policy would also make it difficult for newbie posters who want to come here to solicit votes for their snapshot of their kid, their cat, their snake, their gerbil, or their school project. I'm not sure...I feel bad for these vote whores and spam kings...they need the right to make their way in the word too...

:lmao:

Well.. look at how man posts he/she has.. if it is less than 10, dont click! It may be a virus! You need to look at what you are clicking too (what website).

NFW that will happen!

That would be like trying to herd cats. :lol:

People are generally lazy. Newbies don't look at stickys or forum rules and regs. They justy do what's most convienient for them: "Hey look at the 30,000 photos I have my Flickr and tell me what you think"! :lmao:

I'm one of the few who bother to post the link to the "How to post photos" sticky that's right at the top of the Beginners Forum page that no one looks at.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back