My Daughter

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by Lol999, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Lol999

Lol999 TPF Noob!

Okay, it's time to break my duck and post a picture. This is one of my daughter taken a few weeks ago. She's 15 and thoroughly fed up with her oild man photographing her! I got her near the window as I wanted soft autumn light and used my Nikkor 28 f3.5 wide open (just to try out the new lens:mrgreen: ). i know the background isn't the best but I really like the expression and the perspective seems to sum up her mood at the time. Bear in mind this is a scan of a print so it won't be the sharpest. Opinions?

Lol

[​IMG]

2. Pax

Pax TPF Noob!

She's a pretty girl. I like the softness of the image, her expression is great! :D I just wish I could see her other eye, too.
    The background bothers me not, it's rather the ceiling that distracts my eyes a bit. But other than that I think it's perfect!

3. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ah well... our daughters. So lovely "models", yet so fed up with their photographing parents' wishes for yet another photo, right? Don't I know it only too well?

She is so pretty she should LOVE to get her picture taken, but I think the same about my daughter and she, too, hates it - especially if I want to take a whole "session" with her :roll:

Since we are to take this as a test photo, I don't mind the background too much, since it is the natural window light you wanted in it, and the shallow DOF of the wide aperture of your new (?) lens, which blurs it some, but who does bother me in the frame is the person on the right. But a quick crop can do wonders here. And if you crop in from the right and still want to go with a custom size photo, you have then given yourself the option to crop off the ceiling and voilĂ , your photo will be all the more pleasing! :D

(My daughter is to be seen under "A Girl" in this very forum and in the Photo Themes "Photo Assigment of the Week 30 - High Key")

4. Lol999

Lol999 TPF Noob!

To be honest I have thought about having a selective print done losing much of the backgroundand ceiling. This was taken on a busy Saturday morning, the postie having just delivered my "new to me" lens from a guy on E-Bay. I think, seeing as I am about 6 inches taller than her, a slightly lower viewpoint might have helped and would have the bonus of losing some of the ceiling.

Lol

5. Lol999

Lol999 TPF Noob!

This is a cropped version done in PSP. Any better?

[​IMG]

6. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes. Much better, I say.
    And ChristiePhoto's critique about my newest portrait of my own daughter ("A Girl") was that my camera was too low and I showed a bit of her nostrils, so I think this is a much better viewpoint actually for portrait photography. (I had to make use of my tiny, tiny tripod - easily goes in any pocket, is, however, too dangerous to be taken on board a plane since it is a potential weapon with its telescope legs ... leglets, actually...:roll: - and could only place it on our low living room table, hence my too low viewpoint...)

7. Lol999

Lol999 TPF Noob!

In retrospect I think your'e right on the viewpoint issue. The height difference illustrates her mood of isolated defiance. Thanks for your input.

8. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The cropped version is much better. The pose, the light & the model are all very good. I think it needs more contrast and a little bit of sharpening. It doesn't look like it scanned very well.

9. Lol999

Lol999 TPF Noob!

That's because I have a pants scanner:mrgreen: My printer isn't up to much either hence I won't be joining in the print exchange!

10. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Photos OK to edit
    yes! much better now - cropped! maybe you'll try b&w here???

11. Lol999

Lol999 TPF Noob!

This is one of my first photos for 18 years! I'm not ready for b&w film but this is what PSP makes of it

[​IMG]

12. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Good shot! Natural to say the least. She has a kind of Mona Lisa that is amazing. Critically the background is tough in that it looks like something is coming out her ear. The light and shape of her face is nice. I would accentuate that with some tighter face shots. Maybe try some where her hair is not in her face.