My day at Rolex 24

Well to be honest, buy a 2.8 lens, better glass and lets in a lot more light. Can't go wrong over time. Sure it cost money but what doesnt in the world of photography.

Thank yes I understand I can get a new or used 2.8 lens but two kids in out of state college, I am just lucky to have a camera lol I will keep saving the pennies and watch for better glass

Damn double college, I'll stop complaining about double daycare. I buy a used D3s every month.

I think you did an outstanding job on all these images. Being your first time shooting this type of event, you produced some professional quality, pans are all right on, backgrounds are straight and the racing action has all the content you need to bring the event alive. Great shoot.

Thank you! It's only going to better and more consistent with practice.

I did order the 5D3 with the 24-105 4L... No more hurrying to switch lenses.

Daytona was a disappointment :( we got there late because of someone in our party so solo shots of the car were out of the question, way too crowded.

I did manage to meet 50 Cent, his headphones company, SMS, is a sponser for the 2014 and 2015 seasons.

Then the rain delay... Myself and another person waited until they told us is was a no go for that day. And of course as soon as we make it home (1hr away) it was back on. I was livid! I only managed a few panning shots, wide angle shots, pit shots, and a few with 50 around the car.

If we would've got there early, I could have worked 50, one on one. I was asursed I would the opportunity again. So we'll see.

I'm early or on time... And this one time I was forced rely on someone else.

Last edited:
Waiting on other people is a killer. I made it a point a very long time ago to make my own travel plans or travel with someone that has as much at stake as I do, another photographer. I travel to airports before anyone else as well. As it goes, "first to arrive, last to leave" I watched the race and was surprised that they came back after a 6 hour delay to race.

Daytona was a disappointment :( we got there late because of someone in our party so solo shots of the car were out of the question, way too crowded.

I did manage to meet 50 Cent, his headphones company, SMS, is a sponser for the 2014 and 2015 seasons.

Then the rain delay... Myself and another person waited until they told us is was a no go for that day. And of course as soon as we make it home (1hr away) it was back on. I was livid! I only managed a few panning shots, wide angle shots, pit shots, and a few with 50 around the car.

If we would've got there early, I could have worked 50, one on one. I was asursed I would the opportunity again. So we'll see.

I'm early or on time... And this one time I was forced rely on someone else.

There is a lot to shooting Nascar for private teams and sponsors. I know because this is what I do when Im not teaching. Nascar is going to get very strict on their credential process. They are considering hard cards only except for local media. Independent agencies will have to be on assignment only. Teams will no longer be able to provide credentials. Racing is very open, At the 24, I saw plenty of fans just behind the fence with a camera and a 200-400 or event a 500. You will never see a fan in the stands at a NFL game with a 500mm. While racing is open to all its also the most saturated market. There are some great photographers out there who should be credentialed and vice versa.

There is a lot to shooting Nascar for private teams and sponsors. I know because this is what I do when Im not teaching. Nascar is going to get very strict on their credential process. They are considering hard cards only except for local media. Independent agencies will have to be on assignment only. Teams will no longer be able to provide credentials. Racing is very open, At the 24, I saw plenty of fans just behind the fence with a camera and a 200-400 or event a 500. You will never see a fan in the stands at a NFL game with a 500mm. While racing is open to all its also the most saturated market. There are some great photographers out there who should be credentialed and vice versa.

You seem a little spiteful that a newbie like myself can work inside the NASCAR hard card areas.

Who knows... it may just be overthinking your response. :wink:

Last edited:
No not spiteful at all and you can't tell someone's tone on the internet. All Im saying is that for road racing there are plenty of great shooters behind the fence.

If you think you are going to walk up to Swan Racing and be their team photographer, it wont happen just like that. Could you produce some nice images - absolutely. Nascar is a lot different than road racing. Even still road racing is getting harder and harder for a credential.

I lost a client(road racing) this year because they did not have a full sponsorship for the year. Last year I had a ALMS hard card which allowed me to show up to any event and get credentials. Much harder this year. Now with them being race by race, I couldnt provide the work to a magazine/website for each race because I couldnt guarantee that I would be at each race so I passed.

I kind of figured I was over thinking. I appreciate your feedback.

Can I call myself Swan's photographer? No. But do I have a great relationship with them? Yes I do. My first experience at a NASCAR race was at Homestead last year and my second this year at Daytona, I am very grateful that I was able to get Hot passes for both events from them. I should be at Bristol and/or Charlotte later this year.

Again not being rude, hard to tell context online. There should be a font that represents various tones. Good to have a relationship with them, however Nascar is a full time job if you are doing it your self. During the summer, Im at the track Thurs - Sun. Nascar is changing their rules for their credential requirements. They want people on assignment only. Nascar does not make any money if Joe Smoe is shooting for a team exclusively. They want their cut, their series their rules. There is so much action off the track as well as on track. We cover about every aspect for our clients.

Ill be at Bristol and Im tentative to go to the Indy 500 for Memorial Day weekend. At the very least Lime Rock. We will have to meet up.

I want to do this full time. Just don't know where to start. Hence why I'm doing different events.

Good news is I just ordered the 5D3.. so now I'll have a 7D and the 5D3 for events.

Most reactions

Back