My DIY Macro Studio

KabeXTi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Saw this on Strobist and had to try it. I take product pictures for my company and this is a great way to take great pictures without breaking the bank!

I just got my Vivitar 285HV in today and starting shooting! I am going to play with different backgrounds later, but I made do with what I had laying around for today.

Any thoughts/ideas on what I could do to improve on this even more?

DIY-1.jpg

SEshot.jpg

I'm still pretty much a noob myself, so I can't really offer any advice, but I *can* say very nice work! Excellent results!

A polarizer might help get rid of that glare.
Also, your seamless (if that's what you were going for) background isn't seamless. To get the seamless background use a single piece of posterboard/paper and curve it up the back of the box.

Also, you might want to throw a piece of white posterboard on the left side of the box to bounce some light onto the left side of the bottle.

I think with those easy changes your end result will be much better.

A polarizer might help get rid of that glare.
Also, your seamless (if that's what you were going for) background isn't seamless. To get the seamless background use a single piece of posterboard (or whatever that is that you're using) and curve it up the back of the box.

I'll look into a polarizer. Any specific rating?

Also, I know it's not currently seamless. I just had to make do with the paper I had in the office today. I plan on making a trip to the art store and buying some different colors or poster board to make many different seamless BGs.

Thanks.

There are a ton of polarizers to choose from. I personally like B+W, but they can be kinda pricey - especially if you get the coated ones.

They don't really have different ratings, you just rotate it to dial in the amount of polarization you want. You'll be able to see the amount of polarization through the view finder.

Do you think a diffuser on the flash would help with the glare also? I don't think I've ever seen a plastic one for the 285HV though.

The tracing paper you have on the side of the box should be all the diffusion you need for this (if it's not enough maybe just add another layer, or move the flash farther away). I'm not sure if that would completely eliminate the glare though, try it & see if it looks any better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back