My email address has been comprosimed.

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I order something online at Home Depot. Few weeks later I received an email from Home Depot about my email address is compromised. I may receive scammed emails pretending to be Home Depot. It doesn't look that serious. Had that ever happened to you?

Sucks. It's getting so you can't give them anything but cash. Every week there is another break.

The only way you can get emails like that, is if you leave footprints. There are programs you can install on your browser that help eliminate companies spying on your browsing history. What those anonymous companies will do is sell your information to scammers, legitimate businesses, basically anyone willing to buy. Now this is not to say that this is target specifically towards you, they pool in a large amount of information from countless people and sell it in bulk. Here is my recommendation to help protect your online dealings: Stop watching us :: Collections :: Add-ons for Firefox

The only way you can get emails like that, is if you leave footprints.
Perhaps you missed the news that Home Depot had about 56 email addresses stolen from their system in addition to the financial hack they discovered.

Ouch, i don't really know what that company is? Perhaps you should create a separate email called: i'[email protected].

That's the reason I have a throw-away email address for stores. We had to have a bank card replaced because of the hack.

Hamlet: Home Depot is a large home improvement and construction supply store chain. The sell lumber, hardware, plumbing, electrical, tools, and other home improvement & maintenance equipment and supplies.

Ouch, i don't really know what that company is? Perhaps you should create a separate email called: i'[email protected].
Sorry, hamlet, I was on my phone and didn't notice you weren't in the States or I would've explained better. I love your style, though. :) We have a chain of stores here called Target that had a huge data breach last year but the Home Depot one has apparently surpassed it. :(

Thanks smartbear. I'm still feeling the pain of the credit card switch. At least they're being proactive. My card info got stolen somehow last year and the bank was quick to shut it down. I got my money back but it's a pain to update autopay sites.

This is one reason why I don't understand so many people wanting to trust their data to the "cloud". We've already seen multiple hacks go down and it's only going to get worse.

So many companies have been hacked it's unfathomable.

but there also are many fake emails and some that duplicate company emails. You'll find any company but mostly ones that are financial. The email (which can look exactly like a banks or whatever) say there was an issue and they need you to log in to you account.

They have a duplicate of that companies login screen
You login.
Then the hackers have your ID and password
and get to work, ordering stuff .. moving out cash, etc etc etc

The main key is if you receive an email DO NOT use any links in that email
and refer back to the companies website or call their support and ask them for confirmation.

Also, so not make automatic / monthly payments from a company. They store your CreditCard / bank numbers, though encrypted, can still be compromised.
Yes, make your own payments monthly.

There's so much to this you can't review the entire mess in a post.

FWIW
I receive emails from companies I've never done business with that say my account has been compromised.

It's kinda funny really

but don't think only US companies have been hacked.
just google "european banks hacked" and you will get a ton of results.

European Central bank (20k email addresses, etc) ==> European Central Bank hacked, personal data stolen — RT News

Decade long hacking of European banks and labs ==> Decade-long cybercrime ring hacked European banks and labs (Wired UK)

==> Massive bank hack: What you need to know - Aug. 28, 2014

It's non-stop out there.

I order something online at Home Depot. Few weeks later I received an email from Home Depot about my email address is compromised. I may receive scammed emails pretending to be Home Depot. It doesn't look that serious. Had that ever happened to you?

btw, if your email from home depot was compromised you have to think this

If this is a non-homedepot email ... then how did it get compromised ?
I login to google email .. do you store your google email in home depot ??

Normally those are called phishing scams .. as they try to get info from you.

If you look at the code behind the email you can usually identify where the email is from (usually not home depot) and it's real links of where it goes.

I do this sometimes for work .. scam emails are forwarded to me.
I'll look at it
Then I'll contact the web homes contacts who usually don't know about the hacked pages on their site.
then after a short time (if the web owners don't reply) I'll contact the hosting company that is usually hosting a "fake" home depot web page for logging in, and they shut down the account completely. Unfortunately, the hackers usually hack someone's account and use it as a staging area. So the person that was hosting a real site is totally shut down.

so many phishing emails look totally legitimate.

Ironically, in the mail today I received a new Meijer store card.
The paperwork said that it should be activated no later than November 9th as the old one is no longer useful after Nov 8th.

Hey .. that's TODAY the 8th.

What's up with that ....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back