My experience doing a free wedding...

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by dry3210, Apr 6, 2010.

1. dry3210

dry3210 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I know a lot of people on here get asked to do weddings but don't feel they are skilled enough yet to do them and I have seen quite a few posts about it so I figured I'd share my recent experience on it.

Background Info:
    My sister was getting married on a tight budget and asked me to be the photographer. If I said no, no other person would be hired to do it. So of course I said I would. As for me, I consider myself a new photographer and it is a hobby to me and nothing more.

Equipment:
    Canon XTi and a recently purchased 50mm 1.4f lens. I also have a Metz Hot-Shoe flash on a short cable I had purchased earlier on.

What I Did: I did some searches on here and online for info on beach photography and beach weddings to get some hints and tricks to it (it was a beach wedding).

How It Went:
    Well I lucked out with great weather and since it was a beach wedding I didn't have to worry about no flashes in a church or even trouble with ample lighting. I also didn't have any room issues. They pictures aren't professional but it is better then nothing and better then (If I may say so myself) the point and shoot pictures some of the guests took. I'd say my sister got her month worth and then some. As for me, it was a lot of fun to do and I'm quite pleased with the whole thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comments and critique are welcome

2. fokker

fokker No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Well, the pictures are far from fantastic but if your sister is happy then good on you. Also a bonus if you had fun, and what a great way to shoot your first wedding with no pressure. I'm glad to see not everyone listens to the angry mobs on here that will cut your balls off for even talking about shooting a wedding with less than 10 years experience under your belt.

3. dry3210

dry3210 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Any advice or critique on the photos? I doubt I'll be doing another beach wedding but I'm sure I'll be doing more beach photography so advice is more then welcome.

4. burstintoflame81

burstintoflame81 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like the concept of #2 with the writing in the sand. Would have been cool to be looking down on them. Could have held a monopod up in the air with a wireless shutter release and shot more down onto them with a wide angle. Not bad for your first time. I have only done one wedding, similar to what your situation was with family. I enjoyed it, but not a field I would want to venture into too often.

5. dry3210

dry3210 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I wish I would have thought of that. I had my tripod I could have used like that. I went up on the sand dunes for a few at the end of that series but still wasn't enough angle.

6. shrutebucks

shrutebucks TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    maybe this is just me, but i don't like the kiss shot - they are mid-kiss, his lower lip looks awkward and you can't see his face. i would have taken the picture either just before/after their lips touched, because that sort of shot would have shown both their faces in profile and convey a sense of intimacy. an all out mid-kiss looks too much like sucking face.

just my 2 cents. it's good that you enjoyed doing the shoot :)

7. DScience

DScience No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ROFL

8. dry3210

dry3210 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately a lot of the pictures they are squinting in because of the sun

9. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :lmao:

I agree. For one, I had no experience in wedding photography when I shot my first one. And two, photography is photography. If you can shoot, you can shoot. Period.

Not to say that it doesn't help to have experience. It does.

For example, with experience, you would have known not to photograph the couple actually kissing. It never looks quite as good as the deed itself. You shoot that with just the lips touching, or there about.

Like others, I find your photos lacking. But they are fairly nice for a first time. And they are definitely better than none at all.

Keep shooting.

10. ghpham

ghpham TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    #1. Like posters mentioned before me mentioned, never take a photo of the actual's kiss. Your sister's nose is mashing against your brother in law's face, and it just look awkward.

#2. I like the idea, but execution seems lacking. Too much sand to left or right of photo. Your brother in law is standing awkwardly with arm since limp to his side. (This is a major problem I have as well....I just don't know how to "pose" my objects). Camera is too far from the couple, I can hardly make out their faces.

#3. I like the idea....but I'm not sure where the focus point is?

I think the next time you plan to shoot in the sun, you should have some diffusers and reflectors to reduce the harshness of the sunlight.

Keep on clicking.

11. dry3210

dry3210 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    More like this one?

[​IMG]

I should probably crop it just a hair more to get rid of the ocean in the background and also I should have never tried to write "Just Married" around the heart since you can't tell it says that by any means.

I appreciate all the tips and advice so far!