My Favorite Focal Length for Studio Fashion

To simplify this POST and to end the Brouhaha, Petrio is RIGHT!!! He is CORRECT!!! I AM WRONG!!!! PLEASE FORGIVE ME, for I have WAVERED from the all Mighty RULE of THIRDS (or what ever)...All I know is I apologize and I will never ever use anything less than a 90mm lens when shooting gorgeously voluptuous models...:hug::

To simplify this POST and to end the Brouhaha, Petrio is RIGHT!!! He is CORRECT!!! I AM WRONG!!!! PLEASE FORGIVE ME, for I have WAVERED from the all Mighty RULE of THIRDS (or what ever)...All I know is I apologize and I will never ever use anything less than a 90mm lens when shooting gorgeously voluptuous models...:hug::

Well you don't want their noses to swell up, now, do you?

:lol:

Well you don't want their noses to swell up, now, do you?

:lol:

I would rather use shorter lenses then you can get closer to the pretty models, not keen on perving from a distance ;)

There is a new 8-16 from Sigma is it? I will grab one of those that should do the trick. Be right back got to get on Amazon.

Back just to be safe I found this to [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-650-2600mm-Telephoto-Digital-Cameras/dp/B000MXRZEO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1281460148&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Phoenix 650-2600mm Telephoto Lens with Mount for Canon…[/ame] So you can be a pro also now Ben. Damn, I knew that the industry was always changing but didn't see it change so much as you needed long lens to be pro and how good the pics were was irrelevant. Thanks Petraio for telling this. Pics can suck, just shoot it big! Now SI should be calling me about that cover. Damn Im going to miss EQ2 raid time. Thanks a lot!

I should add that true professional models are trained (or should be trained) to work with photographers who may not be close to them, for precisely this reason (i.e., that the photographer often needs to back up and use a long lens).

Back just to be safe I found this to Amazon.com: Phoenix 650-2600mm Telephoto Lens with Mount for Canon… So you can be a pro also now Ben. Damn, I knew that the industry was always changing but didn't see it change so much as you needed long lens to be pro and how good the pics were was irrelevant. Thanks Petraio for telling this. Pics can suck, just shoot it big! Now SI should be calling me about that cover. Damn Im going to miss EQ2 raid time. Thanks a lot!

Just ordered it...I have informed all of the clients that I have worked for over the last 25+ years that I am now OFFICIALLY a Professional Photographer...Whew...I'm glad that that is settled.;)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I should add that true professional models are trained (or should be trained) to work with photographers who may not be close to them, for precisely this reason (i.e., that the photographer often needs to back up and use a long lens).

Actually and this true, most of the Photog's I know who shoot ultra long, have Walkie-Talkie's set up between the photog and the assistant, where the assistant is next to the model listening to the directions of the photog.

Back just to be safe I found this to Amazon.com: Phoenix 650-2600mm Telephoto Lens with Mount for Canon… So you can be a pro also now Ben. Damn, I knew that the industry was always changing but didn't see it change so much as you needed long lens to be pro and how good the pics were was irrelevant. Thanks Petraio for telling this. Pics can suck, just shoot it big! Now SI should be calling me about that cover. Damn Im going to miss EQ2 raid time. Thanks a lot!

Just ordered it...I have informed all of the clients that I have worked for over the last 25+ years that I am now OFFICIALLY a Professional Photographer...Whew...I'm glad that that is settled.;)

I'm not a professional photographer, nor would I want to be. I'm a 'gentleman' photographer.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Actually and this true, most of the Photog's I know who shoot ultra long, have Walkie-Talkie's set up between the photog and the assistant, where the assistant is next to the model listening to the directions of the photog.

I should think that 400mm is a bit much, that lenses in the range of 90-250mm would be the most useful, but in any case the models should be able to work in such situations. I am extremely pleased with my newly acquired 350mm Telyt-R, and got quite a few nice candids at the Comfest here in Columbus in June. I also used the 180 Elmarit-R.

Here's what you need Benjamin...Petraio's beloved 560mm f/6.8 Leitz Telyt-R...

Leitz 560mm f/6.8 Telyt-R photo - Piotr Sobolewski photos at pbase.com

Ought to be a great indoor fashion lens. I hear they're renting out the New Orleans Superdome football stadium to visiting fashion photographers, so there will be plenty of distance to back up and get full-body shots of even two models.

Here's what you need Benjamin...Petraio's beloved 560mm f/6.8 Leitz Telyt-R...

Leitz 560mm f/6.8 Telyt-R photo - Piotr Sobolewski photos at pbase.com

Ought to be a great indoor fashion lens. I hear they're renting out the New Orleans Superdome football stadium to visiting fashion photographers, so there will be plenty of distance to back up and get full-body shots of even two models.

But I really want one of these:

800mm f/6.3 Telyt-S - Leica Wiki (English)

Leitz Wetzlar Telyt-S 6,3/800 mm für Leicaflex/Leica R - eBay.ch (endet 20.08.10 15:27:23 MESZ)

Be nice for candid portraits. I think this lens was developed to get good shots of those pretty East German models.....from the other side of the wall.

Most reactions

Back