My favourite photo ever C&C

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by fokker, Aug 2, 2010.

1. fokker

fokker No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I did this one about 9 months or so ago for a canon EOS photo competition, but then decided to enter a different shot at the last minute (and regretted the decision). I also entered it into a local competition where I got a highly commended (the most minor accolode given, to about 30 out of the 150 or so photos entered). I really really like this photo, but it this just me? What could be improved again if it was reshot, and what could I improve on in post? Is it worthy of accodolade?

[​IMG]

It was shot at something like f/11 1/4s with all light coming from a single 430EX strobe through a lightbox. I had the speaker hooked up to some NZ drum & bass with the cd paused. I hit the remote to play the cd and the remote for the camera shutter at the same time.

2. VTL67

VTL67 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    lol awesome, very innovative ;)

Not real sure what you could do next time to be honest.

3. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think it is cool as is. There is nothing I'd change about it. And I admire you for your creativity. Such ideas wouldn't even occur to me (apart from the fact that I lack the kind of loudspeakers, music (!), and colourful ... what are they??)

4. Mbnmac

Mbnmac TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It's a great shot I think, I love the colour.
    What kind of photos beat out yours?
    Could just be a taste thing, it's fun but very pop arty (Maybe I'm not applying that term correctly here) and some people just like a solid landscape.

5. edouble

edouble TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I love this shot. I also like speaker designs and would have liked to have see the magnet and the entire speaker basket.

6. iAstonish

iAstonish TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Looks cool

7. AverageJoe

AverageJoe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Great shot, but to your question, it took a while for me to realize it was a speaker (maybe I'm the only one?), maybe if you made that a little more clear (added some speakers in the background?) people would get it right away.

8. iAstonish

iAstonish TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I didn't realize it either. I thought it was some type of pot at first lol

9. ababysean

ababysean TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I knew it was a speaker right away but I am ashamed to admit in my younger days to sport the base boxes and all that other jazz in my car.... lol

10. MohaimenK

MohaimenK TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Next time, make sure those little beads don't fly too much to the right :lmao: J/K!
    But seroiusly though, it's a great photo. How many lights did you use? What type?

Reason I ask, I am working on a similar setup, but with different materials. There's an article I just read on a Photography magazine which just did something very similar which had me very interested. I am just waiting for my wireless transmitter for my speedlite.

It also lists all the equipment they used. Sorry at work or else I could send you a copy of the PDF of it. It should really help with this perticular shot.

11. pbelarge

pbelarge TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Maybe it is just my screen, but the backround is so white/bright, that the white almost 'wraps' around some of the small beads, making them hard to show their colors. Also, some of the beads are blurry, so a faster lens speed.

The image is very cool though, I like it.

12. fokker

fokker No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

Not really sure what you mean by wrapping around:scratch:

This was the first time I clicked about how ambient light and strobed light interact in relation to shutter speed. I used a pretty slow shutter (something like 1/4s) but all the light on the subject was from the strobe, hence the frozen motion. The slight blur is from the ambient light that was present - I should have shut the curtains or did it at night with the lights off.

It was just one strobe, a 430EX. The whole speaker was inside a DIY lightbox and the strobe was firing down through the top.

You raise a good point, I guess I just assumed it was obvious because it's obvious to me. I have other shots that show the whole speaker, but they didn't come out as well (not as well executed, not so much the composition).

Thanks. I can't remember all the photos that did better in the local contest, but I thought the winners were average (well, they were good photos but nothing original - the winner was a bride on a beach, second was a black and white portrait of a black guy and third was a colourful building showing a set of steps and a potplant).