My favourite photo ever C&C

fokker

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I did this one about 9 months or so ago for a canon EOS photo competition, but then decided to enter a different shot at the last minute (and regretted the decision). I also entered it into a local competition where I got a highly commended (the most minor accolode given, to about 30 out of the 150 or so photos entered). I really really like this photo, but it this just me? What could be improved again if it was reshot, and what could I improve on in post? Is it worthy of accodolade?

4852727598_7b7838072d_b.jpg

It was shot at something like f/11 1/4s with all light coming from a single 430EX strobe through a lightbox. I had the speaker hooked up to some NZ drum & bass with the cd paused. I hit the remote to play the cd and the remote for the camera shutter at the same time.

I think it is cool as is. There is nothing I'd change about it. And I admire you for your creativity. Such ideas wouldn't even occur to me (apart from the fact that I lack the kind of loudspeakers, music (!), and colourful ... what are they??)

It's a great shot I think, I love the colour.
What kind of photos beat out yours?
Could just be a taste thing, it's fun but very pop arty (Maybe I'm not applying that term correctly here) and some people just like a solid landscape.

I love this shot. I also like speaker designs and would have liked to have see the magnet and the entire speaker basket.

Looks cool

Great shot, but to your question, it took a while for me to realize it was a speaker (maybe I'm the only one?), maybe if you made that a little more clear (added some speakers in the background?) people would get it right away.

Great shot, but to your question, it took a while for me to realize it was a speaker (maybe I'm the only one?), maybe if you made that a little more clear (added some speakers in the background?) people would get it right away.

I didn't realize it either. I thought it was some type of pot at first lol

I knew it was a speaker right away but I am ashamed to admit in my younger days to sport the base boxes and all that other jazz in my car.... lol

Next time, make sure those little beads don't fly too much to the right :lmao: J/K!
But seroiusly though, it's a great photo. How many lights did you use? What type?

Reason I ask, I am working on a similar setup, but with different materials. There's an article I just read on a Photography magazine which just did something very similar which had me very interested. I am just waiting for my wireless transmitter for my speedlite.

It also lists all the equipment they used. Sorry at work or else I could send you a copy of the PDF of it. It should really help with this perticular shot.

Maybe it is just my screen, but the backround is so white/bright, that the white almost 'wraps' around some of the small beads, making them hard to show their colors. Also, some of the beads are blurry, so a faster lens speed.

The image is very cool though, I like it.

Maybe it is just my screen, but the backround is so white/bright, that the white almost 'wraps' around some of the small beads, making them hard to show their colors. Also, some of the beads are blurry, so a faster lens speed.

Not really sure what you mean by wrapping around:scratch:

This was the first time I clicked about how ambient light and strobed light interact in relation to shutter speed. I used a pretty slow shutter (something like 1/4s) but all the light on the subject was from the strobe, hence the frozen motion. The slight blur is from the ambient light that was present - I should have shut the curtains or did it at night with the lights off.

Next time, make sure those little beads don't fly too much to the right :lmao: J/K!
But seroiusly though, it's a great photo. How many lights did you use? What type?

Reason I ask, I am working on a similar setup, but with different materials. There's an article I just read on a Photography magazine which just did something very similar which had me very interested. I am just waiting for my wireless transmitter for my speedlite.

It also lists all the equipment they used. Sorry at work or else I could send you a copy of the PDF of it. It should really help with this perticular shot.

It was just one strobe, a 430EX. The whole speaker was inside a DIY lightbox and the strobe was firing down through the top.

You raise a good point, I guess I just assumed it was obvious because it's obvious to me. I have other shots that show the whole speaker, but they didn't come out as well (not as well executed, not so much the composition).

It's a great shot I think, I love the colour.
What kind of photos beat out yours?
Could just be a taste thing, it's fun but very pop arty (Maybe I'm not applying that term correctly here) and some people just like a solid landscape.

Thanks. I can't remember all the photos that did better in the local contest, but I thought the winners were average (well, they were good photos but nothing original - the winner was a bride on a beach, second was a black and white portrait of a black guy and third was a colourful building showing a set of steps and a potplant).

I think pbelarge is referring to the white beads getting a little lost against a white background perhaps?

Very cool shot fokker :thumbup:

That shot is awesome!!
The only thing I would have done differently is hide the speaker wires. You could clone the wires out as it is easily enough though.

Most reactions

Back